Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Davros

Careful with the new critical updates!

Today (March 28) 2 new critical updates were released to the windows update page. Take care to read them carefully. The second one is this:

Quote:
Windows Messenger 4.6 Connectivity Update

Download size: 975 KB, < 1 minute

This update resolves several security and service reliability issues in Windows Messenger 4.6, and is discussed in Microsoft Knowledge Base (KB) Article Q320259. Download now to improve connectivity and system performance. Microsoft strongly recommends that you download this update, even if you do not use Windows Messenger. Read more...

I have WinXP, and I uninstalled that annoying Windows Messenger a long time ago. I didn't like the way it calls MS every 10 seconds. I downloaded the update out of curiosity, because the last sentence in the above description sounds a bit strange to me. So what happened? Messenger was completely reinstalled, and I had to uninstall it again!

The point of this is to make everyone aware, because a lot of people just dl the critical updates without paying much attention. If you have removed Messenger and don't want it to return, skip this update! It's just a lame pathetic attempt for Bill to bring home some of his lost sheep.

Of course I know I can turn it off or uninstall it!

I dl the update to find out if it would reinstall it, not out of dumb blindness. I was expecting something funny to happen.

Read my first post again, slowly this time. Especially the last part about not paying attention. wink

Gunner: Do you know I'd prefer to just Nuke It From Orbit?

Spyware rulez!

Yah no kidding man, that damned update got me last night. I just install them usually, however, I did read that it had an "update" for IM. But it reinstalled the ghey thing and I couldnt' remove it. Even if you go to options and have it not launch with windows it's still there when you check your email, farging thing.

I did system restore, then when it popped back up, I unchecked that one and viola!

same thing happened to me, thanks for the system restore idea. worked perfectly. why is a windows messenger update a critical update. stupid...

You can uninstall it completely from your system without using system restore. Here are 2 ways:

1. Go to C:\Windows\inf and find the file sysoc.inf.

2. Open the file with notepad.

3. Remove the word ",hide" wherever it occurs, and save the changes.

4. Go to Control Panel, Add/Remove programs, Windows components.

5. Uninstall Messenger!

This method may not work all the time though.

Here is another, possibly simpler method.

1. Download XPAntispy from here.

2. Unizip it.

3. Run it, and select the option to completely remove Messnger.