Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CyberGenX

What is better Win2K or WinXP?

1. 1. Sharepoint migration 2010

• Migrating to Sharepoint 2010

I just wanted to start some mud flying. My OPINION is that Windows 2000 SP2 with IE6 and DirectX 8.1 is the choice OS these days. uh uhmmm .. At least until Lindows OS www.lindows.com is at 1.1 or so.

Undecided. I duel boot them both and use them for different reasons. I find myself on 2K more often but my family prefers XP. I like them both. If I had to choose....XP.

I was triple booting SE, 2K and XP Pro at one point. WAS hot on XP for a while but then i found 2K was much less of a pain in the @ss compatibility wise.

i'm not a whore to new things. tried and tested os's are what i prefer. win2k all the way

I think for home users, XP is great. For business, 2k is still the better choice, IMO. Both have been stable for me, but I feel that 2k has more of it's issues addressed.

Well, I like to try new stuff to see how it works, as with W2K... it took some time to get use to it too. But with W2K, it was a much bigger change from NT4 to W2K, but with W2K to XP there was some changes but really whats the big deal... they(MS) could have waited a few more years IMHO... but we all know the big reason $$$, dont get me wrong, "Bill" has help me with a kool job "well most of the time" and hobbie... but so much so fast??!! Why, why, why... who really knows, but for my money its W2K for me now.

PS... check back with me in 6 more months and see what I might say then.

uhhhhh.. common guys here now. XP is the most bad assed thing to come in recent memeory. configuration is a bit much but if you like to play, and like to tweak and configure its the best. If you want to crash and swear use se, if you want to be an over rated nt4 usr use win2k. If you want to be a fool use winme (now thats a joke)

XP is the better OS for home and home business. WIndows 2000 is way better for business, at least till hardware can catch up to run XP

XP/98 dual-boot for those newbie home users that like to play ALL of their games.

No diff betwen 2k/XP for the power user really. Depends on alot of factors such as your level of experties, how easily you are annoyed, how much you like dealing with annoyances that shouldn't really be there. I'll still be running 2K for the foreseeable future until .NET Server goes GOLD then I'll probly switch to that for my desktop OS.

2K for business

I find it odd that many people are upgrading their business workstations to an OS that doesn't have a service pack and that's barely been out a year. Geesh, the server OS of XP isn't even out yet you IJITS!

Quote:

I was triple booting SE, 2K and XP Pro at one point. WAS hot on XP for a while but then i found 2K was much less of a pain in the @ss compatibility wise.

Obviously you've never had to install the same program 3 times to make sure it's registry settings are properly propogated across 3 user accounts or had to **** about with APPCOMPAT.EXE to get something to install....

XP's compatibility features aren't perfect but in my experience they are light years ahead of 2k's.

Windows NT 5.1 has a few tweaks over Windows NT 5.0.

I'll go with NT5.1. There's a few little things that msft did that were worthless (search function, driver setup), but everything else was a step-up.