Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
RavishingRocket

Deleting Files in XP Home

i have some files in the program files folder that have nothing in them and im trying to delete them but it says that the folder may be in use by another person or program. Im the admistrator and only user of the comp. How would i fix this to delete these folders. Thanx smile

In Order for you to delete a file in Windows 2000 and Windows XP, two conditions must be met:

a.) You are given access rights to the file

b.) You are given owner rights to the file.

So to be able to delete those files, you must "take ownership" of them. This is a feature of NTFS and is great for security purposes. Here is what you do.

1.) Start Up Windows Explorer and browse to C:\

2.) Locate the folder "Program Files"

3.) Right click the folder, and choose "properties"

4.) Click on the "security" tab.

5.) In there you should see options that enable you to do such a thing as take or give ownership of the folder. So make sure "administrator" takes ownership of that file (I am running FAT32 so I cannot walk you through the process just yet, sorry! frown ) It should be pretty intuitive

Once you have complete control over the folder (by taking ownership of it), Windows XP will let you delete any file or folder in that directory, or even delete C:\Program Files (NOT RECOMMENDED).

Anyways, Let me know if that works for you! smile

1. Right click the file/folder in question.

2. Select Properties.

3. Click the Security tab.*

4. Click the Advanced button.

5. Click the Owner tab.

6. Select the user name you want to be the owner (you).

7. Check the box that says "Replace Owner on subcontainers..."

8. Click OK.

*Note: If you don't see the security tab in step 3 (WinXP), do the following:

1. Open any Windows Explorer window.

2. Click Tools, select Folder Options.

3. Click the View tab.

4. Scroll to the bottom of the Advanced Settings box and de-select

"Use Simple File Sharing."

5. Click OK.

If Windows XP is using a file, even if it is a log file for all of the henscratch it needs to do to keep up with certain processes, it will not let you delete them no matter what your security level. You will only be able to delete them by booting from your CD which will allow you to get into "DOS." There, you will have to maneuver to the subdirectory like CD\winnt. Type Dir frequently to see how the subdirectory appears since some of them may be truncated and use a "~" sign as part of their name. Anyway, be sure that the files you are after are not being used by the system even if they appear to be blank.

I am using NTFS and i still don't see anything in View/Folder Options. Not seeing anything saying advanced either. I've took the folders and just made them a hidden folder so that i don't have to see it