Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
rgodart

integrate "run as" in a shortcut??

i'm running windows 2000 in administrator account (because of nero buring rom and my tv software that need admin mode to run), but some games need to be run in power user to run fluid. So i'm using the run as command so i don't have to log off and on again to run them. When running "run as" i'm getting the usual windows where i have to put in the password for the poweruser account.

Is there a way to just put the usernamen and password in theshortcut, or a batch file so i don't allways have to give the username and password when i click on a game???

Thanks

Wouldn't it be easier to just add your current account to the power users group as well as the administrators group?

-bZj

rgodart, what programs are you running that work better in a Power User account than an Admin account?

Games run a lot smoother in a power user account. It's really only for the games. I know i could just log off and start the power user account when i want to play, but i'm just looking for the easiest solution :-)

I understand that a lot of games run smoother when you log on as a power user, because you have a lot less services and stuff running in the background, but what good would it be to run the game as a power user when you are logged on as admin? Those services are still running. Am I missing something?

I don't understand it either, but it really works the "run as" thingie. My games are really smoother.

I compared the services running while in a power user accoutn and an admin account and they are just the same... I really don't know what makes te games choppy in admin.

I just run them in admin mode and disable all the services I don't use/need. Have not noticed any difference in frames between Power User and Admin

The services that run on a machine have nothing to do with the user accounts... services run all the time, even when no user is logged in.

CyberGenX,

There is no difference in FPS between the power user and administrator account, but in the administrator account there is some very annoying choppyness at some times (although the FPS stays exactly the same). In fact it's like the image accelerates and decelerates to normal speed in a fraction of a second. Just imagine that happening every few seconds (still with very high FPS (CMR2 runs at +50 FPS even when that happens)).

It's kind of hard to explain, but i know other people with the same problem.

My configuration is not low end at all, so it can't be blamed:

athlon xp 1700+

msi k7t turbo2

512 MB ram pc133

elsa geforce 3 ti 200

hercules gamesurround fortissimo 2

Shouldn't be any difference at all, unless there is some program setup to run when the admin account logs in that isn't when the power user account logs in... I would probably check out what's going on there first.

Anywho... hold down the shift key when you right click the shortcut... there will be a run as option.