Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
sapiens74

Nvidia Det 28.32's

Just to throw in my $.02 on the topic of 500 point spreads.

I run a small computer store, all the game systems (most of what we sell) we sell are burned in with 3dmark2k1 for 24 hours; I've done this to well over a 1,000 systems now. With that said, i KNOW how 3dmark2k1 performs on a WIDE variety of systems.

I have found that a 500 point spread is more common with VIA chipset systems, be they Intel or Amd. Mind you, it's not just the Via chipsets, but they do it the most.

Amd, Intel and Nvidia chipset MOBO's consistantly vary the least , often as little as 5 - 10 points on average. SIS and ALI are duking it out for # 2 and #3 with a spread from 100 - 300 on any given run (the first is usually the slowest).

This is just my observation on an extremely wide variety of systems, i am not dogging anyone. wink

Oh, and i have found 3dmark to be pretty useful as a test stability wise. If your system can run it for 24 hours straight, its stable.

laugh

One cant judge drivers based on framerate alone.

Ive been programming an opengl win32 program for the past few months. When it came time to put the finishing touches on, i found out that ONLY the nvidia 28.32 and higher drivers supported the opengl extensions that i was using. So, just a word of advice, nust because new drivers perform slower, they might support newer things (like wgl_nv_render_texture) in my case.

read the nvidia documentation about rendering to textures, they say that only 28.xx and higher support the extensions required.

Ultrix