REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\NVTweak]

"CoolBits"=dword:ffffffff

"NvCplEnableRotatePage"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\nv\Device0]

"NvCplEnableHardwarePage"=hex:01,00,00,00

"NvCplCpqConfiguration"=hex:01,00,00,00

"NvCplEnablenForcePage"=hex:01,00,00,00

i gained about 40 points in 3dmark2001 with the DET. 28.32's....which brings my system to a 10,073 score(no overclocking, all stock settings) =)

It still amazes me that people judge new drivers on Benchmarks under a flawed program (3DMark2001) smile

So, those that are now using the new drivers, please can you report on:

1. Real World difference

2. Stability

3. Image Quality.

Ta

1. explain what is so "flawed" about 3dmark2001SE...it is used by EVERY reviewer i have ever read,and also major manufacturers including Nvidia, so what exactly is so "wrong" with this program? What do you know that everyone else is in the dark about?

2.Real world difference? what exactly do you mean?

3.Stability? I have had no problems at all with the drivers

4.Image Quality? I see no real improvment over my last drivers which were 27.52's. I run all games with graphics maxed and 4x AA and 8x anisotropic filtering.

These latest drivers score a wee bit higher for me on the 3dmark....which means they are very slightly faster for me on my system. every little bit helps. Remember...Framerate is life....nuff said.

Chao

Don't get me started on benchmarks.

I don't care what some synthetic program says, and I am directing this at review sites, cause I know these proggies are good for personal use to gauge where your system is when you tweak it.

But who cares how quake 3 performs at 640 x 480 with no sound, and everything diabled?

Show me what Quake 3 runs at 1280 X 1024, with maxed settings, high quality sound, running virus scan in the backgorund, downloading 5 streams of video, and burning a cd. Cause that's how I run it!

My point being run it in real world settings.

well u have 2 different drivers....1 scores like 40 pts higher on the 3dmark....The performance conclusion stays the same no matter what you were running in the background (i'm not talking about stability...3dmark does not test stability)

What I am getting at is I am getting rather fed up of people judging a new driver release on 3DMark2001.

If 3DMark2001 was a perfect benchmark then why is it that:

You can run 3DMArk2001 twice on an identical system with no changes to any settings and straight after boot, yet the two scores can be as much as 500pts different?

If you read the madonion.com forum's (Which I try to avoid as the average age over there is about 12, and the forum's are full of "My PC Rox" & "Yer, AMD Rox Intel, your PC Sux" & "Hu hu, you seen my latest sig, cause the girl in it is like cool!") it's full of threads on new Det drivers.

They usually follow the same:

"New dets are sh*t because I lost 300 points!"

I don't care about points, I am not sad enough to want to try and get as many points as I possibly can.

I want to know if the drivers cause any problems, if there are any stability issues.

I want to know if the drivers have increased image quality (Some have, the GF's still have terrible image quality compared to anything else, but some drivers help).

I do not want to hear "New dets, not so good, lost 300 points" as I can get sad threads like that from madonion.com.

Quote: "What I am getting at is I am getting rather fed up of people judging a new driver release on 3DMark2001.

If 3DMark2001 was a perfect benchmark then why is it that:

You can run 3DMArk2001 twice on an identical system with no changes to any settings and straight after boot, yet the two scores can be as much as 500pts different? "

Theres something wrong with your system than bud.....that's never happened to me...maybe like 5-10 pts not even close to 500pts. I can run the program 100 times and it won't deviate more than 10 pts.

Quote: "If you read the madonion.com forum's (Which I try to avoid as the average age over there is about 12, and the forum's are full of "My PC Rox" & "Yer, AMD Rox Intel, your PC Sux" & "Hu hu, you seen my latest sig, cause the girl in it is like cool!") it's full of threads on new Det drivers."

1.I'm 33 and i dont hang out at Mad onions forums(what that has to do with this thread...i dont know)

2.you think Mad onion forum is the only place your gonna find people like that? u havent been on the net to long have u.

3. of course people are gonna talk sh*t about there computers on that forum,ummmm it is a forum for a benchmarking program, remember?

Quote: "I don't care about points, I am not sad enough to want to try and get as many points as I possibly can. "

insults~

a person that wants to see how well his computer is running is "Sad"?

what on gods earth are you talking about? i run a benchmark and all of a sudden i'm on some kind of points quest? if i wanted to get the MOST POINTS, I COULD OVERCLOCK MY CPU TO OVER 3 Ghz. all my settings are default,including clock frequency of video card.

Quote: "I want to know if the drivers cause any problems, if there are any stability issues."

1. Once again,3DMark2001se does not test stability, never claimed to.

2.if your read a thread on a message board that says "i just tried the Det. 28.32 drivers and they are totally stable" does that mean they are gonna be stable for you? do we all run the same exact hardware configs? same motherboard? same video card? same programs running in background? that makes "0" sense. some drivers are gonna be rocksolid for some people,others, using the same driver can have many problems.what is your point? The only way to no if they are stable is to use them on YOUR system.

Quote: "I want to know if the drivers have increased image quality"

ummm again, we dont all own the same hardware,if i say i saw an increase in image quality with my Ge4 4600 with the latest drivers,does that mean u are guaranteed to see a difference with your card? Nope.

Welcome to the "Real World"

Let's see, if you are downloading 5 streams of video, running a virus scan and burning a CD in the background WHILE you are playing a 3D game, you are an ID10T. No ONE does this, yes, it may be possible, but this is not a real world bench mark.

I'm in agreement with Hammer on this one. First of all, I've never seen 3dmark2001 scores vary by over 20-30 points at most. The majority of the time, they stay within 5-10 points between runs. I've never seen it vary by more than 30 points, unless I switched drivers. The majority of the versions of Detonators that I've tried have all run fine for me, and I really can't tell any noticeable differences in real world performance. In fact, I usually stick to playing counterstrike and I can't really tell any difference in performance between driver builds. In this case, I don't see what's wrong w/ people using 3dmark2001 as a a measure of drivers. If there's a noticeable "real world" difference between drivers in terms of performance, I'm pretty sure 3dmark2001 will be able to pick it up. It'd probably be a better judge of that, in fact, since I really doubt I'd be able to notice on my own whether or not the latest drivers give me 8000 points or 8700 points. It's kinda like knowing a mhz score for your processor. I really doubt you can notice a performance difference when you're playing a game on a 2 Ghz computer versus a 1.8 Ghz one. But there is a difference there in processor speeds and only a benchmark score is going to tell you that. Of course, your 3dmark2001 score isn't going to the be all, end all judge of whether or not a driver is good, but it definitely is something people can use as a measure of whether or not it's a driver they should be interested in switching to. In the end, it's just something numerical that people can use to easily compare. If you want to know whether a driver is stable or not, or if image quality has changed, just ask. You don't need to trash on someone who's trying to be helpful and mentions how his 3dmark score changed.

that was an example, mostly tongue in cheek

DO you run your quake 3 at 640 x 480 with no sound cyber?

I just installed the Detonator 28.32's and notice that the refresh rate problem i had has gone now. Drivers seem ok so far but havent had much time to run any games yet. Not really bothered though as i dont use this PC Much, when i get my new mobo, RAM and CPU for my other computer then i will see if theres any difference between the two, very much dought it really.

You guys are tooooooo funny, attacking the man for telling what his scores were on 3DMark2001

You act like your paying the guy to test the drivers.

Put um your OS and test them if you don't like his test.

what a clown

"Theres something wrong with your system than bud.....that's never happened to me...maybe like 5-10 pts not even close to 500pts. I can run the program 100 times and it won't deviate more than 10 pts"

Nope, nothing at all wrong with my system

I can build a system with one hand tied behind my back in a darkened room wearing a blindfold.

I have seen the varied results on MANY PC's and no I am not talking about a few points here and there, I'm talking 500pt differentced between runs.

"I'm 33 and i dont hang out at Mad onions forums(what that has to do with this thread...i dont know)"

I never said you were or did, however if I want to read a thread entitled "New dets sux because I lost 3DMark2001 points" I can go there to read them.

Your first post into this thread was "New dets are OK because I gained 40pts" which proves nothing about how good the drivers are.

"you think Mad onion forum is the only place your gonna find people like that? u havent been on the net to long have u."

Once again I didn't say that the ONLY place I would find such a psot was over at madonion.com

However as this site tends to be a little bit more grown up than that site I would have expected more from a thread here.

This site has a whole host of professionals, not kids.

Oh and I've been using the Internet since I first got my Amiga 500 online, so don't come all "High & Mighty".

"what on gods earth are you talking about? i run a benchmark and all of a sudden i'm on some kind of points quest? if i wanted to get the MOST POINTS, I COULD OVERCLOCK MY CPU TO OVER 3 Ghz. all my settings are default,including clock frequency of video card."

Do you feel important enough to feel that ever single post is aimed at you?

Did I at any point direct the quote on people point chasing were sad?

I don't think so.

Once again it was a personal feeling quote that anybody spending all their time just to try and get a few extra points on a benchmark program really should look at priorities in life.

"Once again,3DMark2001se does not test stability, never claimed to"

That is why I asked about REAL WORLD experience with the new drivers.

Once again, you'll notice that I never claimed 3DMark2001 did test stability, however if you also read back you'll see that I was specifically asking about stability.

NVidia have a long history of writing some absolutely terrible drivers, I like a stable platform to work from, so stability is important to me, so once again this is why I asked about experiences with these drivers OUTSIDE of 3DMark2001.

"ummm again, we dont all own the same hardware,if i say i saw an increase in image quality with my Ge4 4600 with the latest drivers,does that mean u are guaranteed to see a difference with your card? Nope."

How long have you been using an NVidia based card for?

Many drivers increase image quality and sacrifice slightly performance.

This is a trade-off I am happy to accept.

In a lot of cases NVidia release new "super fastW drivers just so they perform better in becnhmarks and sacrafice image quality, fuzzy look, generally bad images.

If image quality is increased for one user than generally speaking it mans that NVidia have gone for quality rather than speed with their latest driver release, which means I would be happy to upgrade.

"Welcome to the "Real World""

Well thank you but I've been her quite long enough thank you very much.

My daily workings with PC's of many configurations, my many years of building computers for friends, myself & work means that I've been playing in the "Real World" as you so aptly put it for many years.

The initial question was actually quite simple.

Has anybody had any real world experience with the new drivers rather than some benchmark that don't mean jack.

Simple question to which you've taken the difficult route to answering.

Ummmmm, thanks.

I still say the human eyeball is the best benchmarking device yet...

I haven't noticed a difference with most of the dets but then again I only have a GTS2 Ti.

stability and image quality....hmmm....i have owned almost every geforce card,and used tons of nvidia drivers,drivers used within last 6 months: 23.11,27.20,27.42,27.50,27.51,27.52,27.70,28.32. ALL of these drivers were 100% stable(many are beta drivers),and as far as image quality,there is no way to tell a difference by eye(unless these new drivers unlock some hardware feature on the video card not previously used). 99.5 % of new driver releases are just little bits of performance increases and some compatability issues.The only way to judge these increases is by numbers(sometimes they are decreases unfortunately).

So...

1. i'm not sure what the big deal with stability is

because i cant remember EVER having a problem with stability and nvidia drivers.

2. image quality...i have never seen a change of drivers make a significant enough increase in image quality for me to be able to see it with the naked eye(i'm not bionic,20/20 vision tho).

3. Keep benchmarking your drivers with norton antivirus,video streams,the human eyeball,with winzip,photoshop,your cd-rw,the alignment of the planets,how your toast gets cooked the morning after installing the latest drivers....whatever....i will do what 99% of the public does and look at the REAL WORLD numbers.

A lot of posters here have non-INTEL chipsets.

THat's where I believe the problem is with stability

Hey Hammer91, I'm not bionic either...what I mean is if I can't tell the difference with my eyes then what is the bloody point.

It's like a car, you don't need instruments to tell you it's stuffed, you just have to listen.

Hope that explains my point of view.

Quote: "Hey Hammer91, I'm not bionic either...what I mean is if I can't tell the difference with my eyes then what is the bloody point."

The point is even if they dont appear to make any difference in image quality,they could be faster/better performing drivers.....

most likely not very much faster or better performing,but every little bit counts........if it even gives me an extra 1 FPS....I'll take it. Framerate is life.

Hammer

Quote:

But who cares how quake 3 performs at 640 x 480 with no sound, and everything diabled?

Reminds me of Three Fingers and all of his config files for benchmarking Q1 and Q2.

cool