Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Space Cowboy

H E L P !!!

I have no idea what happened..but wifes pc which has XP wont give me a desktop..when i boot it,and log in under any user,admin included..it goes to desktop..but gives no icons.no start menu.nothing..mouse will move,and i can crtl/alt/del and it will bring up task manager.and i can close programs..but NO DESKTOP ITEMS please help.

Try this, bring up the task manager, and then select "Applications". Next, select "New Task" and type "explorer.exe" and see if this brings up the shell manually.

well clutch good idea,i tried that,and somehow it was missing..or atleast had zero byte size to it,i copied the explorer.exe from my pc via network to hers.and it werked,but it keeps giving me a recovered from error message.but now it allows me to access desktop.start up ext..will MY explorer EXE be ok? or do i need to extract a new one from CD ??

PS.thx pal.i was so mad i didnt even think of explorer.exe i knew something was missing in task manager hehe

Well, I have done worse to get something working smile. I'm not sure if this would work, but have you gone to Windows Update lately? There is an update regarding that issue (system recovering from error prompt at boot time), and there might be some other issues as well that could be helped out with some of the updates.