Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ekstreme

STILL can't dial ISP

I have just installed 2167 hoping that it would resolve my problems dialing into my ISP. NO SUCH LUCK!!

For those who don't know this is the problem:

My ISP has two lines, one I can dial into with no problems, but it's engaged 99% of the time.

The secondary line which is always available will not accept my connection ONLY under 2000. NT4 and 98 work fine. The error I get is "Server failed to assign IP address" then it hangs up. IN 98 there is an option for WINS that lets you select DHCP, however I can't see that option under 2000, for WINS.

I tried a patch because this is apparently a bug in 2000 (so my ISP says) but it's only works for eariler builds.

I have Obtain Ip address from server checked (I presume this is it, however it don't work in this case!)

I have disabled LCP extensions and I have turned off IP header compression, but no luck still

PLEASE HELP!!

OPS your rigth

[This message has been edited by SHS (edited 08 November 1999).]

The second part of his post says he tried that.

What I would like to know is:

You say that you are tring to access a second line that your ISP has, Do you have it listed as an alternate phone number for the ISP, or do you have a complete seperate listing under Dial Up Settings? I have a Sh*ty ISP anyway, but I'm tring to recreate your problem.

I just have it set as an alternative number. I have tried it just with secondary number on it's own connection, but still won't work

Well, for anyone else that has had this problem I have solved it.....

Under the network tab for you connection, click settings for the type of dial-up server adn uncheck "Negotiate Multi-link for single link connections"

/me chuckles, piece of piss really!!