Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ryoko

This doesn't make sense

I returned to a peer to peer network I worked on last week to find the winXP machine disabled the nic. The computer has a modem and also a network card. After a connection to the isp over the modem, suddenly the nic (a cnet pro200wl) attached to the internal lan stopped working. Numerous event logs reporting there was a problem with the device were recorded from the prior day. After it was powered down, it restarted with no drivers bound to the card. If I uninstall the driver, XP redetects that a nic is there but can not find a driver. I downloaded the drivers from cnet but it still will not load it. I would appreciate any help on this.

Here is a minor second question. I used to be able to 'browse' drivers by manufacturer in 9x, nt and 2000. Now when I try to do that in XP I only see a couple of generic drivers. What happened to being able to look by manufacturer and select your driver? Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance,

Ry

my friend had a problem similar to this last night. He has recently built a new computer. The nic worked for a while then it just screwed up and stoped working. After deleteing it from device manager it wouldn't install the right drivers as it did the first time. with a lot of mucking around we couldn't get it to work so we changed it to a different pci slot. turned it back on and it worked like a dream. pretty screwed up, no idea why it did it, but it can't hurt giving it a go hey?

does any body know what cards you are meant to put in what slots? I have heard that there are specific places u r meant to put specific cards

I heard that the 1st pci slot has some priority, so I put NICs in this one.

Thanks all,

I'll give that a try. It behaves just like prost described, except it would not load the drivers at all. I went with another card, but I would like to try this to see if switching slots will work.

-Ry

Quote:

I heard that the 1st pci slot has some priority, so I put NICs in this one.

Actually the first pci slot usually shares resources with the agp socket and should be the last slot you use. wink If yer not havin trouble though (IE: stuttering in games and such...) then stick with what ya have.