Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
tsonta101

New (?) LiveWare 3 for WinXP

Has anyone tried it yet? That is, if you didn't mind downloading around 300MB. Is there anything else in there apart from drivers and the usual creative apps (like the recorder, surround mixer etc)???

I know I will hate myself for doing it, but I will download it (using my forever trusted 56K line)...Getright says another 45 hours to go!!!

I doubt that this is an original thought on this topic, but 342MB??? WTF??? confused

I'm glad that my sound card isn't made by Creative Labs, having to download drivers that big could be a real pain...ok, so I'm on a 1/2 Mbit [actually it's slightly over that] connection but even so...that'd get really annoying if they brought them out fairly often [i have no idea how often, not being an owner of a CL card]. It just boggles the mind - what else are they including aside from drivers & the usual audio-ish progs? a couple of entire albums in MP3 format??? & I thought M$ were bad...!!!

i'm downloading it rite now..

estimated time, 3 hours at ~30k

oh well.. i've updated before, and had some problems with AudioHQ

it says COMPAQ released these drivers. does that mean if we don't have compaq machines, we can't use it?

Kizagjo

Its Live Ware you are downloading, not the drivers. A bit like downloading all of MS office just because you want to add a new printer driver. Apparently this is a customized version for Compaq or for a specific Compaq machine. Just because the number is 3.0 I wouldn't bet that it is a different or better version that the one that came with the card.

The SBLive XP Driver Update is 9.03MB and Rev 2 acc to soundblaster.com, where it can be downloaded from...

H.

Kizagjo, will you post your comments as soon as you install it? And give us a detailed account of what it contains?

My bet is that it should work on any machine with an SB live in it, but still.....300MB? did they park a car in there?

<the next morning>

installation

i noticed it said 5.1

hmm i have a live Value.. "heck..y not... try it anyways" says the lil voice in my head. so i go for it...

after the routine clicks of next, and agreeing with terms, it installed.. ONLY PLAYCENTER 2!!!

WTF?! 300+ megs for PLAYCENTER!?

i went to the extraction directory, and took a look.

NO FRIGGIN WONDER IT'S 300 MEGS!!

they have 8 different languages PACKED in there!!

i went into the english directory, and noticed it's just like the Creative CD that comes with ur SB card, so... i went into setup, and installed the rest of the stuff.. (audioHQ, newer drivers, yadda, yadda, yadda)

so far, i havn't noticed anything that says "compaq" or any other funny changes.

hope it doesn't when i restart!

kiz

Oh it wont say anything about Compaq, but just be ready for problems once the next patch and/or update appears over on Creative's page.

Don't you guys remember the same issue with LiveWare for Win2k?

Liveware wasn't available for Win2k in the beginning.

Then a few people started seeing "Liveware for Win2k" over on Dell's site.

So, all the sites picked up on this, posted their links, proudly told everybody to go get.

Like sheep to the slaughter they did, installed and Oooo'ed and Arreeee'ed at their new installation.

One month later Creative released the official version of Liveware for Win2k.

End result:

Hundreds of people who couldn't install the official update, couldn't un-install the Dell drivers and who ended up re-installing their whole OS.

Just be carefull people.

All it is new package of LW3 with latest ver applications and drivers for they card only so you need add in your card if you don't own a Compaq SBLive which has a diff Hardware ID, I have new Creative CD for all SBLive! card min folks didn't order the new CD which cost $5 + S/H, The one I have is for Windows OS yes XP to, Compaq on the other hand post CD image of it but there are few thing miss from it but you really don't need all of it any way.

thanks for the info guys.....i am halfway through there (155Mb to go!)....will i get a Nobel prize for my patience?:P

I downloaded it (blessed be my cable modem), installed it without a hitch (SB Live Platinum with the digital out card), and it has worked flawlessly. It even stopped a weird hanging upon boot-up problem I was seeing occasionally. So, for what it is worth, it seems safe and friendly enough for now. Will advise if anything changes.

So, if your SBLive is still problematic under XP, download away!

:}

can anyone change their Speaker Settings from AUdio HQ? mine seems to crash everytime i start it.

any suggestions? besides reinstalling it? :P

Creative is no longer offering any of this for download on their site, what BS!! you have top get it or order it on cd, and pay for shipping, i already spent $250 + on your hardware, now u want me to pay for more support BS! and they say this is better for us.

i will just find the free download links for play center 2.5 / 3.0 (15mb or so in size) and get the free driver files form creative.

Creative are no longer offering the Full Package as a download.

As long as you currently have a copy of LiveWare installed on your system, then you'll be able to download the "Upgrade" package" FOC, which will install just fine.

It's just complete, new downloads they are stopping.

-= K i z a g j o =-

To fix your crashing problem when changing your speaker settings from Audio HQ do the following:

1. Open an Explorer window and navigate to the folder: C:\Program Files\Creative\SBLive\SurroundMixer

2. Right click on the file "ctsurmix.exe"

3. Select "Properties"

4. Select the "Compatibility Tab"

5. Tick the "Run this program in compatibility mode for:"

6. From the OS list select "Windows 2000"

7. Click "Apply"

8. Click "OK"

This should fix your problem. Enjoy.

-= i n e f f e c t =-