Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Atreyu

Gotta Love Linux

Originally posted by cybergenx:

Quote:
I think someone above said it already. What is the point. Linux is still pretty well reserved for advanced users/admins. I have yet to see one 'general' business run their company on anything but a MS based OS.

I have the same excuse that lots of people do.

"I would use Linux BUT..."

But, A LOT of the programs that I use DON'T run on Linux. If they did, it is because of a 3rd party emulator. Which CAN be very buggy. An you pretty much got to compile certain portions of the code in a few of those. Who the h@ll has time for that?

Find me a distro that works out of the box with the following programs (without alternate programs) and I will switch NOW.

Adobe Premiere Pro

Avid Studio

Adobe Photoshop

Pinnacle Studio

Ulead DVD Factory

ALL MS products (including Office, Viso, Visual Studio, excluding OSes)

ACT!

Battlefield 1942, Desert Combat

Call of Duty

Half-Life2 beta (don't ask)

That is not an entirely fair comparison. I used Linux exclusively at home and as my client OS at work for more than a year, and found it to be quite reliable and suited *most* of my needs (well, a high number of them anyway). The big problem for me was a lack of nice font support across all of the libraries (simple X display with fluxbox, along with stuff running on GTk, GTk2, and Qt) and a good office and development platform. The one OS that *can* cover this, however, is Apple's OSX. They have a nice development environment from what I have read for their OS (similar in respect to VS.NET supporting Windows operating systems) and Apple has fantastic graphics and video support, including dedicated versions of some of those apps, plus other apps that would be superior to others listed.

The other stuff, such as "all MS apps" is a rather loaded questions, as they were designed to only run on MS products and may not have directly ported versions for any other OS (with the exception of Office, as it does have a very nice version for OSX). I am not sure about the games, as I know some have been ported to the Apple OS. But I use an Xbox anyway, so I don't worry about these sorts of things smile.

With OSX, you can get a very nice OS with a wonderful UI and on some nice hardware, provided you are ready to buy a new machine to get the OS. Apple has successfully put a nice and easy to use *nix (well, BSD) OS out there that soccer moms can burn DVDs and plug their camcorders into with little fuss. This same OS can answer almost all of your requests in spades, and do it even faster (in many cases) thanks to the new Apple hardware.

So, there is a *nix OS that can do pretty much what you want, but do you want to pay the price of admission?

For those of you that are leaning either way, I strongly advise that you dabble in as many OSs as you can. It's a great way to learn more and to widen your knowledge about computers in general. With that said, there are many cool new things coming from MS in the next year that will make admins lives much easier, and are slam-dunk responses to things that Linux has had for years. One thing that I can hint about (because of NDA stuff) is the new MS command shell and command interface. Try running a search for "msh" and "monad" and you'll see what I mean. If you can, hit up http://beta.micrsoft.com (formerly www.betaplace.com) and see if you can get in on this beta. Also, if you are a server user and want to tell MS what you thing about their server OS (please, be kind :)) and what you think they can do to make it better, hit http://www.windowsserverfeedback.com and tell 'em what's up.