Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
pikapan

RAID 0 in XP?

Just got another 60 gig Maxtor Ultra-133 identical to the one I have right now in my system and was wondering if I could setup a software RAID 0 with it w/o going out and buying a RAID card. I'm pretty sure Win2k supported software RAID 0, but was wondering if XP also does. Also, if XP does, will I have to completely reformat my existing drive that has all my data and reinstall XP if I switch to RAID 0?

I don't knwo about Softare RAID, But anytime I ahev srtup a RAID array, you ALWAYS lose the Data on the Drives you are creating an Array for.

Mike

Windows NT/2K/XP doesn't support using its own software striping (software RAID) function on the system partition. Also, you would have the added overhead of processing all the info back and forth to the harddrive through the CPU. It wouldn't help overall bandwidth performance too much, and that is all RAID 0 is for.

Hmmm, thanks for the replies. Guess no RAID 0 for me then. Also, does anyone know if XP supports Ultra-133 at all? When I check in Device Manager, it only shows Ultra DMA Mode 5 which I'm assuming is Ultra-100.

The embedded IDE controllers on my motherboard are ultra-100, but I also have a separate promise controller that supports ultra-133. When I boot up, it shows UDMA Mode 6, but when I check in device manager it says UDMA Mode 5 for my hard drive that's connected to the Promise. I have my Pioneer DVD drive and my Plextor CD-RW connected to the two IDE slots for my motherboard and those say UDMA Mode 4 and Multi-word DMA Mode 2 respectively which seems to be right.