Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
bobbinbrisco

How do i sort start menu?

Left click on a folder in the start menu. Then right click and hold and drag and drop to where you whant it.

That's all!

Alternatively, right click on the menu you want to sort, and select "Sort by name"

Alternatively, go to "Customise" on the start menu options, and click on sort.

AndyF

Rightclick and "Sort by name" ?

Or am i missing something laugh

/Toby

Quote:

... go to "Customise" on the start menu options, and click on sort.

i can only do this if i am using the "classic start menu". what do i do if i'm not using this feature?

I'm not 100% sure what you mean here - if you mean sorting the stuff that pops up when you move your cursor over All Programs, then it is done the same way as with win98 - right-click & Sort By Name, if you mean the list of recently used programs [bottom left section of XP's new style Start Menu] then the answer is you can't. If you mean items that you've put in the top left with the Pin To Start Menu function, then you simply drag them into the order you want. As for the right side of it - all you can do is choose [to an extent] what items you want to be shown & whether you want them to be shown as links or menus.

i just wanted to know if there was a button where i just click to sort my start menu. since there isnt one (unless u use the windows 'classic' start menu), i guess i have to sort it manually by right clicking on the folder and choosing 'sort by name'.

What I do is switch to classic view, sort the menus then switch back to XP view.

AndyF

Why go to all that trouble? is easier to just sort them with the right-click & Sort-by-Name function. 's not like it takes more than a couple of seconds, & if you make sub-folders for the different categories of progs you use & tell the various install progs to make use of them then that helps to keep things tidy too.

Whilst some install progs support making sub-folders on the start menu & then putting the prog's program group/folder in that, rather than in the main All Programs folder, not all do so is a good idea to create a bunch of new folders on your desktop with names like Graphics, Utils, System Tools, Net Progs, etc then highlight them alltogether & right-click & drag them to the Start Menu & then to the All Programs folder & let go of the mouse button & select Move Here from the little pop-up menu [followed by doing the Sort-by-Name thing of course].

As I said, sadly not all install progs will support putting their program/icon group in the sub-folder - even if you specifically tell it to - but most do nowadays. During the install process, when it asks you which program group you want to put it in & offers you a suggestion e.g Quick Shutdown & you decide you want to put it in a folder you've named System Tools, simply add the folder name followed by \ before the name it has given, so that in this example instead of just Quick Shutdown you would have System Tools\Quick Shutdown in that box & it should [hopefully] put it in the sub-folder instead of the main All Programs folder. If it doesn't you can just manually move it by right-clicking-&-dragging it to where you want it to go. If you do have to do it manually then it will most likely give you some tedious message saying that doing this will affect all users & are you sure you want to do it [wish I knew how to turn that off!].