Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
zaijian

Newb user/acct login problems

I'm running win2k, there's my roommate's comp running xp - and I want to give only him access to a folder - how do I do so? How do I set it up so that it recognizes his comp/login and that he doesn't have to login or do anything manually?

This also happens to be the same folder that is the root dir for the IIS i'm running

Set up an account for him using the same login name and password he uses for logging into his XP box. Then when you set up the sharing you would give that account rights to the folder.

-Ry

k, that's all done now....

but here's the complicated part:

We want to be able to use my shared folder as the root for his IIS server on his machine.... for some reason, we either get login boxes (for which the user/pass doesn't work) or file not founds... any ideas?

I assume your talking about an ftp site for your iis server.

is annonymous connections enabled?

ill take a guess at this. Try making sure your "my shared folder" (which is root) has the proper permissions, he should at least have read access. smile

Hmm, I never thought about running IIS using a web based on another computer. How about mapping a drive to your pc from the computer running IIS? That is about the best I can think of. It certainly should be possible to do. Now you said he is running XP. Does XP come with the full IIS, or does it come with a stripped down version? Since it is a workstation, it may have a limitation that makes you use a local web.

-RY

Tried by mapping the shared drive, also tried by using the "A share on another computer" where you enter in the folder, login/pass, didn't work those ways.

When I tried the mapped drive, it wouldn't find/display any files, when I tried a share on another computer, it kept asking me to log into the computer I was currently on (the XP one)... strangeness. I have no idea of the fullness of XP's IIS implementation, but from what I saw, it seemed as full featured as 2k's.

Have you tried creating a new subdirectory for your existing web using the share on the other machine? Essentially, you will have to host the base of the web locally for simple stability issues, but then host a subdirectory of that site pointing to the remote share. I have done this myself, and it will work fine as long as you pay attention to what permissions you have tied up between the machines.

Hey, thats a neat workaround Clutch. I will have to remember it. If you get that FAQ thing going, this would be a good item to put in it.

-Ry