Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
mike3169

Shared folder etc. not showing up.

Hi all.

A friend has 3 pc's in his home, all with XP pro. All with 10/100 NICs and on a 10/100 Linksys Switch.

Here's the problem.

We establish a Network by running the Network wizard on all 3 and setting one as the Host for Internet. All see each other when you View Network Computers, However when we share Fodlers or Drives, they do not Show up under Network Places on any PC. The only thing that shows up is Shared Folder. Every once in a while though, one will pop up. Like right now, My Documents on one of the PC's is showing on all the others under Network Places.

All the Sharing is shows to be correct as far as settings go. All PC's runing same protocols etc.

I pretty much know what I am doing when it comes to basic networking, however on my PC at work with XP pro, whenever we share something there, BAM it automatically shows up in the Network PLaces all the time. One thing though, On every PC I have messed with that has XP pro on it, ONce you UNSHARE the Folder or Drive, if it was appearing in the Network Places, it remains there, even after it is un-shared. Kinda Goofy. I beleive all the Services are correct under Admin. Tools. Anyone have an idea?

Sorry I forgot to add. Even though the Shared Folder does not show up under Network places, it does show up when you go to "View Workgroup Computers" under that specific Computer.

Mike