Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ConQueso

DVD-R/RW/RAM drive question

I'm thinking about getting a DVD-R/RW/RAM drive.

I can get a Panasonic LF-D311 for $330, an HP dvd100i for $450 or a Pioneer DVR-AO3 for $420.

I don't know the DVD-R/RW/RAM scene well. I'm under the impression the drive must be able to burn on DVD-Rs in order to make DVDs which run on standard DVD players for viewing on TV.

I'm not concerned about write speed, its primary use will be to create DVDs to watch on TV. I have Minerva Impression software to create DVDs, I just need the hardware.

Is the Panasonic the way to go, or is there a reason it's $100 cheaper? Any help would be appreciated.

i might be wrong, but afaik, You will probably not want the Panasonic model if you plan on doing alot of RW with DVD since they are using DVD-Ram instead of DVD-RW discs, those proprietary discs cannot be read in other DVD drives and also they are rather hard to source than your typical DVD-RW discs.

another thing to point out about dvd drives at the moment is that most DVD movies out there exceed the 4.7GB limit on the DVD-R/RW discs so you will not be able to do a straight DVD-DVD copy.

if i'm wrong, i'm sure someone will correct me :P

just checked the specs on the HP and Pioneer, seems the HP only supports DVD-RW's whereas the Pioneer supports DVD-R/RW so looks like the Pioneer is the best option, my brother has one of those and he seems to like it.

I won't be doing copies of DVDs, I'll be creating my own.

Thanks for the input.

Right, it's not really the best time to buy DVD writers at the moment.

As with nearly ever single standard we are currently at the phase where there are competing standards, one of which will win and be used for ever more, the others will loose and if you choose that side then you'll end up with an un-supported device frown

History is full of standards that were great but have since been thrown away, VL-BUS, X2 Modems

That being said, if you need the ability to write DVD then you have to take the plunge.

Please note, although any drive you may currently purchase *Might* be able to read back all the different formats, it certainly can't write in them all.

Currently there are 3 standards in use:

DVD-RAM - This has a few followers including Toshiba

I'm not quite sure why this is in the race for the standard, it's been around for a while and seems the most unlikely eventual winner.

DVD-R/DVD-RW - Again has a lot of followers, Pioneer being one of the biggest supporters.

This was the first of the "Big two" standards to emerge, early adopters will have had drives conforming to this standard, giving it a boost.

DVD+R/DVD+RW - Plenty of manufacturers pushing this standard, Phillips and I believe HP are two of the biggest.

Slightly newer technology than DVD-R/DVD-RW, however doesn't offer anything over it.

The "Big two" standards are both geared up ready to be able to burn dual-layers.

As to which of these standards will eventually win is anybody's guess.

DVD-R/DVD-RW does have the advantage because it hit market first, however as there are so few adopters at the moment either standard could win out.

Huh...

Maybe I should hold out, doing so would probably save money and frustration...

Have any guess when the next generation of DVD+/-RW drives will hit and at what price they might be at?

Thanks for the information.

All I can really give you is my personal feeling on this.

I don't think we will see an official standard until dual-layer burners hit the market.

That isn't actually as far away as you might think and I wouldn't be suprised if we see those en-mass within the next 3-4 months.

Then we will see one of the two standards become "The Standard" and all future DVD writers will follow that standard.

It's not really a problem purchasing any drive now, even if that standard looses out the blank media will still be available.

However you *May* find yourself in the situation where you can burn DVD's and you can read them back without a problem, but no new DVD-ROM drives out there can read them back, making your DVD's fine for yourself but of no use if you want to lend them out, sell etc.

Quote:

Right, it's not really the best time to buy DVD writers at the moment.
As with nearly ever single standard we are currently at the phase where there are competing standards, one of which will win and be used for ever more, the others will loose and if you choose that side then you'll end up with an un-supported device frown
History is full of standards that were great but have since been thrown away, VL-BUS, X2 Modems
That being said, if you need the ability to write DVD then you have to take the plunge.
Please note, although any drive you may currently purchase *Might* be able to read back all the different formats, it certainly can't write in them all.

Currently there are 3 standards in use:

DVD-RAM - This has a few followers including Toshiba
I'm not quite sure why this is in the race for the standard, it's been around for a while and seems the most unlikely eventual winner.

DVD-R/DVD-RW - Again has a lot of followers, Pioneer being one of the biggest supporters.
This was the first of the "Big two" standards to emerge, early adopters will have had drives conforming to this standard, giving it a boost.

DVD+R/DVD+RW - Plenty of manufacturers pushing this standard, Phillips and I believe HP are two of the biggest.
Slightly newer technology than DVD-R/DVD-RW, however doesn't offer anything over it.

The "Big two" standards are both geared up ready to be able to burn dual-layers.
As to which of these standards will eventually win is anybody's guess.
DVD-R/DVD-RW does have the advantage because it hit market first, however as there are so few adopters at the moment either standard could win out.

Blade is right on. I don't know SQUAT about DVD/RW etc. yet, but they are still pretty new to the market. Prices IMO, are still very high considering that it is really no huge breakthrough in technology.
If it were me, unless I just had the cash laying around and was itching to spend it, I would hold of for a few months. See what happens, Something always better, faster and cheaper is sure to come out.
But, according to what these guys have posted, if you have your mind set on buying one, go with the Pioneer. It looks to have the most features and flexibilty.

Mike

I'm fairly experienced in dvd stuff and no there isnt a set standard, but the DVR-A03 is a great choice, it is actaully the "Defacto choice", heh or general consensus of all .. dvd .. dvdr users=) .. it will suit whatever you need it for .. good luck ..

-neural

-Oh ya, you can get the DVR-A03 a lot cheaper than 420$ .. look on pricewatch, you can find it for ~$370 ..