Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
cowbulls

New MB and existing Drive with XP on it

Im trying to use an existing hard drive with Xp on it with my new

motherboard MSI845Ultra, but since it has a new IDE controller on it XP wont boot because it doesnt have the drivers installed and wont recognize a bootable device on it. And Safe mode please it really doesnt exist in Win2k and XP not like Win98 did ,you could go into safe mode install IDE controller and reboot.

Please help me find a simple way to use this existing XP bootable Drive I dont wont to have to reinstall the OS and everything else.

Thanks in advance

please e-mail me at cowbulls@attbi.com

Went through this only to reinstall.

But Microsoft released an article saying just to use the repair function of on the cd. That will reset the Hal settings and let it boot

Hey that Board you are using? It is an Onboard RAID controller you are trying to Boot from? If so then you may need to hook your Drive to the Standard Controller FIRST, boot upo and load the RAID drivers and then shuitdown and hook your Drive to the RAID controllers.

If it is not RAID controllers, then XP should recognize the Standard IDE controller. That is wierd. If I find out anything, I'll let you know.

Mike

Incorrect, Mike. The IDE RAID controller on the MSI board is one of the ATA133 ones for which XP does not have built-in support. Regardless, the NT family is very picky about having unrecognized IDE controllers swapped in without getting some sort of driver first. And that means, it has to know what's there before switching the hard drive to it. As it appears he's switching motherboards, your suggestion just won't work. Otherwise, what your saying is true.

You're pretty much gonna have to reinstall. Changing the IDE controller out from any NT OS (NT/2K/XP) is basically asking for a reinstall.

There is safe mode in XP, but if you've switched IDE controllers, it'll do you little good. Do a reinstall. If you need to get into safe mode, hit F8 before the white progress bar starts going, or even better, before you see it.

There are most definitely some unfamiliar things about XP, as it's based on an entirely different core than 98. It's NT vs. 9x.

Oh, for that MSI board, make sure you all the files of the driver on a floppy disk so you can install the Ultra ATA/RAID controller during installation. Right when you see the blue screen at the beginning of the install, hit F6 'to install SCSI controllers'(And yes, Windows will think you have SCSI). A few minutes later, you'll have to feed Windows install that floppy with the ATA/RAID controller.

Brian are you saying that XP WILL not recognize the "Standard" IDE controller on that board? I have seen exactly what he is talking about with a RAID controller Card or Onboard, but NOT the standard IDE. It should AT the least I would think, use the Native IDE Controller Drivers.

I'm thinking that maybe he is hooking the drive to the RAID controller and NOT the Standard IDE. I can duplicate that on my board exactly. Of course, I could be wrong...lol it wouldn't be the first time..Just trying to help.

Mike

Oh and I re-read your Post Brian..I know the RAID controller may be ATA133 and XP doesn't have Native drivers for it, but Woopie. He should STILL be able to do what I posted in the beginning. HOOK his Drive to the REGULAR(STANDARD) IDE Controller. Then once booted up, with RAID enabled, it should recognize the Controller and ask for Drivers. He can THEN load therm. Shutdown and hook to the RAID controller and BAM off and running. I did the EXACT same thing with my Board. and my RAID controller has no XP Native drivers either.

Mike

Biran is right, if he tries to boot in to XP using a drive that has different IDE controller drivers on there XP can't boot because the new IDE drivers will not load on startup. Also XP will give you an inaccessable boot device because there are no IDE drivers. I tried just replacing IDE drivers after i f-ed up my system using the VIA IDE miniport drivers and ended up having to go through a whole re-install to get it working. There is no way NT/2k/XP will recognize a new motherboard IDE controller without having that controller installed before installation, or during installation.

My installtion worked for me, when I went from a BX6 to a KT7A-RAID board, the HDD was recognised with the XP installed, just have to install the driver for the RAID controller, and every thing wents fine. HPT370 is supported in XP natively.

In your case, you were pretty fortunate. In most cases, this does screw with XP/2k and you have to reinstall.