Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Sparkhard

It takes so long to get to Computers Near Me what was that

I remember a reg hack that was around here a few years ago. It made your Workgroup open up faster on the network. Anyone remember that ?

Thanks, Sparkhard

Nemesis, Negative...that is not what he's looking for....sorry.

Sparkhead, Do you have a server running on your network ?? If so, you could setup a WINS server on it....which would speed up your network neighborhood to almost being instantaneous. Not to mention, setting up a WINS server is extremely easy.

Clutch helped me setup my WINS server a couple months back...Now all of those problems that you are describing are now gone.

Good luck...

Klark

How would i go about setting up one of those servers. I would rather have someone tell me how to do it than have me mess up everything myself tyring to figure it out.

Thanks, Sparkhard

Well first of all, you'll need Windows 2000 Server, or Windows 2000 Advanced Server.

So, if you have one of those, then you're in good shape.

Let us know...

Here is the reg hack that I think you are looking for (just performed a search on this board for "reg network browse" and worked my way to it):

http://www.ntcompatible.com/vb/showthread.php?threadid=13640

As for setting up a WINS box, it's pretty much automatic. You just install the service on the server, and have all the clients point to it in their TCP/IP properties. They can then get all the NetBIOS linked info from the WINS box rather than querying the system directly, which can cause the delay you are seeing. However, here is a link that can explain it further from Technet:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treevie...rt2/tcpch07.asp

Clutch,

Those links were great! Just a quick 'Thank You' for taking the time to answer our questions...and answer them correctly:D

That works for win98. What about when you have the same problem in win2k?The above registry edit doesn't work.

Really? Works for me every time. I have used it on several W2k machines.

It works allright. My mistake the stupid registry didn't have after all the RestoreConnection key. smile

Why aint this reg hack working to me? smirk

i did what it said, i removed that key, rebooted and it still slow like hell.

any idea what can be wrong?

i have Windows 2000 Proffesional.