Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
NT_Worker

CD-ROM Drives are missing

I have a system that has been running XP Professional for a while now. I have an older SCSI 4x/4x/20x CD/RW drive, as well as a 32x SCSI CD-ROM Drive. Two days ago, the CD-ROM drive letters disappeared, and I have no access to them. They show up in the SCSI adapter's BIOS scan, and also in the device manager. I thought I might have a strange termination issue (even though Everything has been setup this way, without change, since Win98, Win2000, and WinXP... 3+ years) I installed an IDE DVD drive, which has worked in the past. The same thing happens, it shows up the device manager (and BIOS) but it does not get assigned a drive letter. I configured a Win98 boot disk, and loaded the appropriate drivers. The drives load, and are functional. I tried a repair, with no effect. This is a fairly fresh install. I ran a clean install single boot WinXP Pro on a freshly formatted hardisk, about one month ago. I had been running it in dual boot with WinXP/Win98SE.

System Specs:

Pentium III 750

448MB RAM

20GB IDE Boot drive, formatted with FAT32

Geforce 2 GTS 32MB

SBLive Value

TekRam DC390/F (Ultra-Wide SCSI adapter)

SCSI CD-ROMs mentioned above

This PC is not internet capable, and not on a network. I attempted a system restore, but received a message warning that drive F: (CD Burner) had been changed, and was not a part of the system restore. That's not a quote, though.

Thanks,

~NT_Worker

Access Registry and delete LowerFilters and UpperFilters here:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]

Thanks! I'll try that out as soon as I get home!

By the way, where did you get the information?

~NT_Worker

Well, I thought I had searched the knowledgebase better than that.

Thanks again.

~NT_Worker