Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Palos

It's official now... :(

I declare my IBM 60GXP 60 GB 7200 rpm DEAD...

Around 20:37 CET on Feb 24,2002 the subject produced the so called "click of death". Cause of death still unknown, but preliminary reports indicate massive surface damage due to tons of bad sectors appearing overnight.

From financial reasons the owner decided not to perform an autopsy, due to the fact that the store would like to have the body returned in a plastic bag smile Replacement with a different brand is possible.

For all those wishing to pay tribute, the official burial ceremony will be held around 19:00 CET at the computer outlet store around the corner smile

May his soul rest in pieces...Amen!

===============================

PS - Pretty innovative for my 500th post, yeeeehaaaaaw laugh

Lol, I tried that IBM Test tool myself, came back with plenty of bad sectors. I could try to revive it, but I'm not going to be bothered to....My C: partition is NTFS incidentally laugh

I used the "fixboot" utility in XP recovery console few times before that chkdsk patch from M$ came out, supposedly fixing the issue. I previously got 3 or 4 times the BSOD with UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_DEVICE.

Bye, bye IBM......here I come Seagate smile

Oh, by the way....going back to W2K SP2 as well.... smile

Stop scaring me, im running two of these 60GXPs and im frightened they are gonna blow every time i use em. frown

Still, i read that its heat that eventually kills em and mine are well cooled. laugh

I have had an IBM 60GXP for over a year now, my pc is on at least 15hours per day, (when not 24/7) i dont have my drive set to idle, i have it inside a quietpc.com silencer (increases heat slightly) and i have not (touch wood) ever had a problem with my drive, just thought i would add this as it seems when ever something goes wrong with any hardware everyone jumps on the negative bandwagon, so i thought i'd share my experience..

Yup, mine also have been working for over a year without problem, which is more than i can say for 2 maxtor drives.

3 Maxtors here that were RMA'd. One of those became mine if I'd RMA for my dad, which I did.

So far, Western Digital seems to have been the best in recent times.

Got my Seagate Barracuda ATA IV yesterday, it is indeed a wonder drive. With the case open I have to put my ear next to it to hear the disk activity! Very quiet indeed...

Does the following setup look weird?

Controller1: Master (Seagate 60GB UDMA100)

Slave (Pioneer A106S DVD Multiword DMA2)

Controller2: Master (LiteOn 12x/10x/32x CDRW PIO4)

Slave (Maxtor 20 GB UDMA100)

I know it looks weird for the 2nd controller, but I have cable limitations (too short).

Yes it looks weird smile and you are probably killing the HDD speed pairing them each with a cd drive.

Well, if I pair the HDDs together on a controller, it would be bad for HDD to HDD transfers. If I pair the DVD and CD-RW together it would be bad for on-the-fly CD copying. smile

So what am I left with? Maybe switch the Maxtor to be master on IDE2 with the CD-RW as slave, but that won't bring a lot, would it?

Any more ideas? smile

Well i have mine:

60GXP Master

60GXP Slave

Pioneer 105s dvd

Plextor 12/10/32 cdrw

Seems ok smile i dont do any HDD to HDD copying smile

Oh well, whatever I do, I need to buy something extra...either a longer rounded ATA100 cable or an adapter to fit 3.5In drives into a 5.25In slot...I'll wait and see if I get any problems, but I think it's ok so far. I'll run some Sandra Benchmark on it to see what it can do....

I would be tempted to grab a PCI IDE controller, promise makes some goods ones. I just bought one the other day off of mwave.com dual controller for $18.00. Comes with an 80 pin cable.

Have you read this BS about IBM drives only being able to be powered on 8 hours a day?

I'm very happy with my WD 100gb 8mb cache drive...and today I'll be installing my brother's Maxtor 80gb...

I loved IBM...but guilt by association took me away from Creative, and it may do the same for IBM.

Maxtor & WD for IDE, and Seagate for SCSI from now on.