Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Vulcan

nvidia's driver or microfoft's driver ?

hey...

i recently installed win xp on a friends computer with a nvidia TNT video card.

he is currently using the microsoft's windows update driver,and some games that should work don't. (Fifa 2000 crashes immediately,Soldier of fortune is thrown back to the desktop..)

will the nvidia detonator drivers help ?????????

I would probably say personally to get the drivers from Nvidia's site or find the detonator 27.XX drivers and see if you get any better results from them.

----------------------------------

1st Computer

AMD 1700+ Athlon XP

ASUS A7V133A VIA Motherboard

512MB PC-133 RAM

64MB GeForce 3 Ti200 (Det 27.10)

60GB IBM 7200RPM HardDrive

16x/48x LG DVDDrive

40x Compag CDDrive

16x/10x/40x LiteON ReWriter

Creative SoundBlaster Live! 1024 Player

Creative 4.1 Surround Sound 1600 Speakers

10/100 Netgear Ethernet Adapter - 2nd Computer Networked

WinTV Primio FM TV/Radio Tuner

2nd Computer

1.2Ghz AMD Athlon Thunderbird

512MB PC-133 RAM

64MB GeForce 2 MX200 (Det 27.10)

60GB IBM 7200RPM HardDrive

40GB Seagate 5400RPM HardDrive

16x/48x LG DVDDrive

24x/10x/40x Samsung ReWriter

Creative SoundBlaster 128

(3x)10/100 Genius Ethernet Adapter

300Watt RMS 2.1 Active Subwoofer Logic Speakers

Windows XP Professional Corporate Platinum Edition(IE6 SP1 beta)

Windows XP Plus Pack

Office XP Corporate Edition with Frontpage

Publisher XP Corporate Edition

Microsoft's Driver Lacks OpenGL Support Very useful for these kind of games, you have to use the driver from Nvidia's site or latest drivers from your graphic card's manufacturers site...

Microsoft Driver Just dose'nt support OpenGL

Also, I don't know what MS did to the Detonators, but they run like a dog compared to the same release nVidia drivers...!

AndyF

...although I am not a gamer I have recently been through the XP/Nvidia grinder...here is what I have learned:

the (Gateway) driver update offered by MS is severely limited; the 23.11 drivers from Nvidia (unsigned) were slightly half-baked; the 27.50 drivers (unsigned) from Visiontek work very well; but, it is necessary to use Powerstrip (the shareware) to crank XP out of its ironclad 60Hz refresh default.

I am presently running a Hitachi CM828/GeForce3 combination at 2048 x 1536 (16 bit color) with Coolbits to overclock the card to 220/520 and Powerstrip to set the correct refresh to 71 Hz...and all is well...Autocad and Sach's Aquarium seem to like this combo better than any other...and I don't miss the 32 bit color...

Good luck...a little patience and tinkering pays off

P4 1.7

512MB rambus

ABIT MBoard

AGP aperture @ 128

Errr guys, he said it was a TNT card, not a GF. That might also be part of the problem. Don't think even a newer DET driver will haelp with that. Its an old card that does not support many of the newer features in the GF, let alone the recent GF3. At least if you went out and got a GF2 you'd see a ton of improvemnt.

hey man

i have a TNT2 M64 Card ....very bad in acceleration though the graphics look good, its performance is poor as in less FPS, but it does run all the games you know, never quits, smile with the latest detonators ..even better.

Maybe, but you ain't seen nuthin till you see trees moving, fog, and dirt clods & dust kicking up all around you when you play Ghost Recon! And think - all the newer games coming out WILL be optimized for the newer cards, so you'll miss a lot. And a lot of the new ones even have the settings for the texture compression - looks lifelike now!

true true man, very true, the graphics in today's latest chips are just awesome, but you also need that much money, which am sorry to say, I don't have. so i'll wait another year with my TNT2 M64 then i'll upgrade to whatever is latest and hottest. smile write now, I am happy playing need for speed porcshe unleased in 640*480*32

lol yea i know, but i had a bit of money collected and spent it all on a 1GHZ PIII and parallel port interlinking with my room's electric connections(i like really high tech stuff), and dad's not gonna give me any money for anything related to computers.. smile