Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
three

overclocking questions

ok, finally took the plunge and decided to oc my t-bird 800mhz. somehow i'm only able to hit 900mhz at default Vcore. I tried it @ 950mhz (9.5x100) 1.850Vcore and it will boot up but usually freezes out on me within 10minutes of use. One thing I did notice was during post it gives a warning something like :

CPU voltage detected at 1.725

CPU voltage set at 1.850

The only bridges I shorted are the L1's, am I supposed to short other bridges for the Vcore?

T-Bird 800MHz Socket A (200MHz)

Aopen AK73 Pro

Same thing with the Duron (800MHz) I'm using at work, but it won't even post @ 9.5 multiplier but is stable @900MHz default Vcore. Using same mobo.

yeah you have to cross the L1's but an extra 100 megahertz might be all you are gonna get out of that chipwhat kind of cooling do you have cause cooling is usualy a prob for the newer overclockers

Three: my AOpen AK77 Pro does the same thing with the voltage warning. I ignore it as I know that I've upped the voltage. Some mobo's may not be very good at overclocking too. It sounds like it's the board there. You might wanna try upping the FSB if you're RAM is good enough.

already tried upping the FSB, a simple 4 mhz increase to 104 caused the system to not POST, the voice diagnostics came on saying 'Your VGA card may have a problem' well..so much for that.. Wierd cause I read a review on the AK73PRO over at Anandtech and they had their T-Bird 800 oc'd to 988 (9.5x104 stock core voltage). Well so much for that.

Video Card = Leadtek Gforce2 MX SH Pro

Like I said before though, I did get it to POST and boot up @ 9.5x100 1.850 Vcore, but it would freeze on me within 10 minutes..temperature seemed normat @ 42C maximum. I've seen many posts around with ppl upping the core to 1.9? but 1.850 is the limit on the bios, are there other ways around this?

Just wanted to throw this out there, but understand that not every CPU will overclock very well. Sometimes you just get ones that will barely come up with another 10% over their rated speed (hence the reason they were rated at that speed to begin with, I guess :)). Also, I had an AOpen board (AX34 Apollo Pro 133a based) and that thing wasn't particularly great for overclocking (or anything, actually ;)). So, as mentioned earlier you might just be hitting a wall with the mobo and/or the CPU and it wouldn't have anything to do with your settings. Can you test the procs out on another model of mobo?

actually the AK73PRO is a very stable board, not much of an overclocker though. like i said before, i have the exact same board at work with a 800MHz Duron and can only hit 900MHz, oh well.

i'm too lazy to take the pc apart and test it with another board, my case is extremely small so i would have to take out the PSU prior to removing the HSF/CPU :P