Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Vulcan

long pause after boot screen...

hey...

Whenever the computer boots,after the bios screen shows up and my hard disks and my cd rom are detected (for 5 second or less), there is a long pause of 10 to 15 seconds and only then the hard disk is accessed and the OS starts to load.

i don't know how to fix the situation.

motherboard : IWill's VD133 (Via Appollo pro 133)

Pentium III 450 Mhz

256 ram

3 Western Digital hard Disks

1 Cd-Rom

1 floppy

Win ME/XP Dual Boot (I Don't Think The OS is relavant here..)

Please Help ! confusedmad

Without knowing more I can't really narrow it down much, but a few things spring to mind:

- Has XP always behaved this way on your machine?

- How old is the installation of XP?

- Have you replaced/hacked [for appearances sake] the boot screen, the login screen, or Explorer.exe?

- Have you had any probs with installing/uninstalling progs - eg 1 that didn't install/uninstall smoothly?

- as above, but for drivers

- Have a look in Msconfig & see what you have running @ statup - maybe you'll find a clue to your prob in the list of things that are set to run @ startup.

- Does it do a big pause when you boot into safe mode? If so then see what it says on the screen as the comment/command just before it pauses.

These are just a few things to think about - I'm assuming you have the latest drivers for all your hardware, & updates/patches for windows & all your progs, yes?

sorry for confusing you ..but i changed the thread title to make it clearer..

the pause is after the bios screen before the OS starts to load...

I would have thought it depends on how you do it - if it's just stuff like themes, styles, or changing the OEM info with something like Xteq Xsetup then I would agreee with calling it modifying, but when you use something like ResHacker to actually replace a bitmap or a caption for the Start button in an exe or dll file & then recompile the file I would have thought that using the term hack wouldn't be too inappropriate.

I had a similar conundrum in which my i815 based system would pause for several seconds after the boot screen in windows 2000. I solved it by removing unused IDE channels in Control Panel | System | Device Manager, and setting each slave and master to its correct transfer mode (i.e. PIO4, UDMA4, etc...) Note that you may have to do this in Windows AND your BIOS. I guarantee a 4 second reduction in boot time wink good luck.

I'm getting a problem with my 1700+ that when windows is starting to load, it just stops doing anything. The harddrive light stays on and the slider for the Windows XP boot screen moves across but the HardDrive isn't being accesssed coz theres just silence. Then after about 3-6 seconds it starts loading again.This only happens 2 out of every 5 boots but gets annoying.

----------------------------------

1st Computer

AMD 1700+ Athlon XP

ASUS A7V133A VIA Motherboard

512MB PC-133 RAM

64MB GeForce 3 Ti200 (Det 27.10)

60GB IBM 7200RPM HardDrive

16x/48x LG DVDDrive

40x Compag CDDrive

16x/10x/40x LiteON ReWriter

Creative SoundBlaster Live! 1024 Player

Creative 4.1 Surround Sound 1600 Speakers

10/100 Netgear Ethernet Adapter - 2nd Computer Networked

WinTV Primio FM TV/Radio Tuner

2nd Computer

1.2Ghz AMD Athlon Thunderbird

512MB PC-133 RAM

64MB GeForce 2 MX200 (Det 27.10)

60GB IBM 7200RPM HardDrive

40GB Seagate 5400RPM HardDrive

16x/48x LG DVDDrive

24x/10x/40x Samsung ReWriter

Creative SoundBlaster 128

10/100 Genius Ethernet Adapter - Cable Connection

10/100 Genius Ethernet Adapter - Laptop Networked

10/100 Genius Ethernet Adapter - 1st Computer Networked

300Watt RMS 2.1 Active Subwoofer Logic Speakers

Windows XP Professional Corporate Platinum Edition(IE6 SP1 beta 2813)

Windows XP Plus Pack

Office XP Corporate Edition with Frontpage

Publisher XP Corporate Edition

i think i found the cause for the problem,but i don't have a solution..

apparently the hard disk that is connected with my cd-rom to the second ide cable is causing the problem.whenever i remove it ,the pause at the boot screen is gone...

is there something i can do ?

Have you checked the jumper settings on both drives [HDD & CD] to make sure the master & slave settings are correct? Also, do you leave your IDE device settings in BIOS set to auto-detect, or do you detect them & leave them set @ the right settings? I know some boards might not give you a choice on this matter, but if yours does it can make a difference. [what I mean is that auto-detect is slower]