Sign in to follow this  
Curley_Boy

NTIOWP... cannot start service

the NTIOWP service on my machine says..

Event Log (System):

'The NTIOWP service failed to start due to the following error:

The system cannot find the file specified.'

Event Log (Application):

'Installing the performance counter strings for ContentIndex failed. The Error code is DWORD 0 of the Record Data.'

'The performance strings in the registry do not match the index values stored in the Perflib key. The Record Data contains the last index value from the Perflib key in DWORD 0 and the index of the last string used as DWORD 1.'

Device Manager:

'This device is not present, is not working properly, or does not have all its drivers installed. (Code 24)'

What is this service and how can i repair it?

Hi,

Firstly, I don't know what that service is, secondly I assume you are running Win2k because from the info you have given it sounds like one of Microsofts many [pointless] performance monitors that are turned on by default in Win2k. For home users, and in my opinion the majority of Win2k users, these performance monitors are wasting system resources.

If these performance monitors are of no interest to you then you should turn them off, which should cure the problem. For a full list (and there are many) download exctrlst.exe from Microsoft and go through turning them off. This program should, if memory serves me, tell you which ones are running. This is the page to download it from:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/tools/existing/exctrlst-o.asp

To turn off a few within Windows without downloading exctrlst:

Open a DOS window and type

diskperf -n

HTH

/Lee

Thanks for that, I've solved the problem myself now, the 'service' was actually a driver installed as part of the VIA CTSPD program, for monitoring RAM speed and settings.

Program's been uninstalled now, problem gone smile