Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
three

norton ghost

I'm using Norton Ghost 6.03 that came as bundled software and trying to make a backup, if anybody out there is kind enough to tell me how to do it, i'd appreciate it.

Only have one physical drive with 3 partitions c: & d: are NTFS and e: is FAT32, I guess I should have the backup in e: partiton. So what should I do? I only have ghost.exe in readonly and writeonly. which to use?

Do you not have the boot disk creation program that comes with it? Usually you make a disc then boot from it and go threw it from there. It cant write to NTFS so you will need to use your E: drive for the image file that it creates.

well, i have it on a cd that came with the mobo, and in the directory it has two directories, 'read only' & 'write only' and within both folders is a file 'ghost.exe' that's it, when i tried to execute it, it says that it cannot be runned in NT and need to reboot to DOS to execute it, well, if I do that, it would be pointless as DOS would not see either C: or D: since both being in NTFS.

hmm..after reading thru the help portion i fiddled around with it and came up with this command line :

>ghost.exe -CLONE,mode=COPY,src=C:,dst=e:\ghost-backup

and got this error:

Error: Cannot open GHOST.ERR

ABORT: 10082, Disk to Disk option disabled

nevermind, got it figured out now. booted up using win98 boot disk, then opened up ghost.exe from the write_only folder to make the image file to e:, then ghost.exe from the read_only folder to restore the image back to partition.

It's true to say booting to Dos renders NTFS partitions invisible, but the Norton Ghost program recognises them .. but then only offers a chance to back it up to a Non NTFS partition or CDRW or tape ..

Bummer

This is kinda off topic, but Im not a big fan of ghost, as compared to Drive Copy/Deploy Center. With deploy center i ghosted my drive without making any boot disks, then all i needed to do was boot of the CD. When i used ghost i had to go through a ***** of a time to get a ZIP drive to work, but it was external and LPT *ugh people and old hardware, why can't everyone be computer enthousiasts*. Ghost though is still a good program and has saved my *** a lot of times.