Sign in to follow this  
htsource

Losing connection to Internet after a while

Hi,

I have the following set up in my home network:

a) Linksys router with DHCP disabled

B) PC running W2K Server - is a domain controller, DHCP Server, DNS Server

c) all Windows clients are using the following:

Gateway: 192.168.1.1 (Linksys router IP)

IP: 192.168.100.1 (1-4 for all PCs in the house)

Subnet: 255.255.255.0 for all PCs

DNS Servers: 192.168.1.101 (Domain Controller), 24.100.101.24 (from cable company), 24.xxx.xxx.xxx (from cable company), etc.

d) Server setting:

Gateway: 192.168.1.1

IP: 192.168.1.101

Subnet: 255.255.255.0

DNS: 127.0.0.1, 24.100.101.24, 24.xxx.xxx.xxx, etc.

The problem is everything will work fine for about 15 mins, all of a sudden, I can't get on the net anymore or I'll get the timeout error. If I bring up a DOS prompt, I can ping www.yahoo.com or any web sites.

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks.

Just to clarify, when you say:

"If I bring up a DOS prompt, I can ping www.yahoo.com or any web sites."

Did you mean to say you can or did you mean to say you can't ping those sites. It looks like a typo, but if not then it is a whole new ballgame.

-RY

It's not a typo, I CAN ping www.yahoo.com even though I can't browse anymore from a browser. Basically, when the connection is out, at the bottom of the page, it'll say contacting 209.xx.xx.xx (whatever the IP address of the site) instead of contacting www.yahoo.com. I don't know if that show any clues.

Thanks

The ability to ping them indicates an active route to the host. Somehow I think it could be a local routing issue. Check your subnet masks, and your internal dns server's settings. You might want to set the external name server as the primary. I am guessing that your system thinks that the route to the 24.xxx.xxx.xxx server is on the local network.

I have had this happen two times with two different causes. The first time, I updated the firmware in my SMC router, and the problem was resolved. The second time (different computer at another house) I replaced the NIC and the problem was resolved.

Couple of things to try...Good luck

Ed

The problem is fixed by preventing DNS service from loading at bootup. Weird but it did the trick. Thanks anyway for all your suggestions.

Sounds like you're having an Maximum Transmission Unit (MTU) size problem. But the thing that boggles me is that Linksys DSL routers handle it fairly well lowering the transmission count for DSL automatically to 1300. HMMM... Try lowering you MTU size to 1300 manually, either on the router or the client system and see if that fixes it.