Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Adam of Eternity

OpenGL on mandrake9

I am new to Linux, I have mandrake 9 most things ive worked out but i cant seem to find the right Nvidia Drivers for my GeForce4 Ti4600 ermm im tring to get the Wine Emulator runing and i dont seem to have OPEN GL support :'(

Any help on what Nvidia Drivers to use would be great i did try the latest drivers from www.nvidia.com but seem'd to kill mandrake frown

Cheers

Adam(Super n00b)

Sure did.. to the letter and it DIED... umm that was using the Nvidia RPM's when i use the TAR.GZ's I get this ??

"You appear to be compiling the NVdriver kernel module with

a compiler different from the one that was used to compile

the running kernel. This may be perfectly fine, but there

are cases where this can lead to unexpected behaviour and

system crashes.

If you know what you are doing and want to override this

check, you can do so by setting IGNORE_CC_MISMATCH.

In any other case, set the CC environment variable to the

name of the compiler that was used to compile the kernel.

*** Failed cc sanity check. Bailing out! ***

make: *** [gcc-check] Error 1" ?????

I know im a DUMB n00b but if i cant get help here how does anyone learn ?

Thanks

make sure you have a folder with the correct kernel source in it at /usr/src/linux

uname -r

will tell you the version to use

there are new drivers out, I just installed them on Slackware 8.1 with good results

version 4191

Hey, quick follow up... I was having the same trouble as you had before, with the Nvidia drivers killing X. When you installed the RPMs, did you modify the XFree86(4) config file, or did you just leave it as is? I tried installing a few days ago with the RPMs, and modified the file from "nv" to "nvidia", and it took about 15 minutes for X to boot, and the next time I rebooted I got a kernel panic. I think my computer hates me, linux, or both. :-p

You HAVE to edit the XF86Config .. The changes are in the Nvidia Doco very simple to do..

Haa But now .. I decided after spending the last week getting to know Linux it was time for a FRESH Install and time to setup the whole thing how i wanted it.

DOH - BIG MISTAKE - Now wile installing the 4191 Nvidia Drivers im getting this "error: failed dependencies: kernel = 2.4.8-26mdk is needed by NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-4191.mdk81up"

But in the Control Center it tells me i have "2.4.19-16mdk" Any Ideas ??

Thanks

OK kewlies ill give that one a go BUT these are the exact same Nvidia Drivers i had installd the last time round..What would make them work before and not now ? ;(

OK thanks @ Admiral LSD .. I know im DUMB i got the mdk90up.586 and all is sweet now but im not sure as to why i had to get i586 drivers when i have a i686 system ?? Can someone explain this ?

Thanks again

Adam.

"Mandrake Linux 9.0 is optimized for Pentium and higher processors (and compatibles), and therefore does not run on earlier x86 processors."

With other words, it will run on 586 and later systems..

Drivers made for Mandrake 9.0 therefor would need to support 586 systems as well..