Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CeRbErO

Day of the Tentacle

Hey

I'm wondering how to get this game working in XP.. When I start the .exe I get the menu just as it should be (with the choice to set sound options or play the game). When I choose the Play choice, my screen goes black and the computer stops responding completely, and I have to restart. I have tried to both set audio options, and to play without but it's the same result for both.

If anyone's gotten it working, please tell me how =)

Please anyone. This is like my favotire game of all time, so I really wanna get it working smile

I'm too lazy to dual boot though, I gotta get it working in XP...

DId you try the compatibility tab?

properties on the executable> compatibility)

Try set it for win 98.

hope this helps

I've tried it and it didn't work. I'm pretty sure the compability setting doesn't do anything for DOS games though.

Hi, I have this great classic, Day of the Tentacle running perfectly under XP. It took me a while to get the sound running properly.

You will need:

VDMSound to emulate direct hardware support for DOS games with Sound.

Day of the Tentacle sound Updates The roland update is the important one But I applied all the relevant ones.

You will need to run both the setup, and the game with VDMS. I have it going well with these settings, but you might have to tweak it around a little:

Muisc: Roland (port 330)

Voice: SoundBlaster (port 220, IRQ 7, Buffer 64)

Control: Mouse & keyboard

notes:

-I have the floppy version, not cd version of the game.

-VDMsound supports other sound cards, which you might like to try.

-I had problems with the game freezing until I increased the sound buffer to maximum.

-I'm not using compatibility mode.

Also note I just tried it again while writing this, and my music/mouse didn't work. I tried it a couple of times then they were working...hmmm.

Let me know how it goes. I think we can overcome any potential problems.

Hm.. Didn't work.. I still get the same problem.. With the screen just going black. I don't have to restart now though, I can close the dos session.

I'm gonna try with another version later though, so I'll get back to ya smile

do you have it cracked to strip out copy protection/cd-check...I think some of those can stop it being compatible with XP believe it or not....more the launcher type cracks.

I borrowed the cd version from a friend of mine. Uncracked. And I still got the same result.. (Computer freezing up entirely).. Dunno what it is. I figured I could run it on my router can (a 486 33mhz), but it was too slow to run under Win98.. The speech stopped after about ½ a second every time someone said something.. Gonna try installing Win98 on a 200mhz now, and see how that goes smile

As you can tell, i'm desperate laugh

Quote:

The speech stopped after about ½ a second every time someone said something..

That is a classic sign the sound IRQ is set wrong or conflicting.

Quote:

As you can tell, i'm desperate laugh

If you are desperate, you could always try a virtual machine program. They would probably run it fine. There's ConnectiX Virtual PC, VMWare or for a free alternative, Bochs.

Whoa!!! Thanks so much for the tip badaro! It works great! Didn't know such a project existed smile

Interesting.

But I have all lucas arts games working in XP without it. I wonder why they made this...

Did it help you CeRbErO?

insaNity: I haven't been able to get any of the old LucasArts games at all running in XP so it certainly helped me smile

This app is my new best friend wink

I'm still curious as to why it would work on some platforms without any intervention and not others.

(I've also heard of many people needing compatibility mode when others don't)

Oh well, good to hear DOTT is working for you.

I'll hang on to that proggie just in case (thanks barado)

smile

Quote:
This app is my new best friend

But...I thought I was going to be your new best friend frown

:P

Quote:

I wonder why they made this...

I believe the idea is to use this program to allow playing those games in different plataforms (MacOSX, Linux, I've heard of a Dreamcast port... :)).

[]s Badaro

does anyone know where i can download Day of the tentacle from PLEASE I NEED TO KNOW I WANT TO PLAY IT AGAIN BUT CANT FIND IT frownfrown

Hey, i was just looking to backup my day of the tentacle game when i found this website: www.bored.mrcrash.net, they have a link there that goes to some site but its a instant link to download the game! it works fine when using ScummMV or what ever it is, just letting you know if someone wants to backup there game, but you cant download it if you havent already got it they say on the other website, enjoy!