Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EddiE314

export favorites to list

is there any way i can export my favorites to an html document, more or less creating a list of my favorites?

Yep, just follow the normal export method in IE and you will be fine. Open IE, go to File>Import and Export, and then select export bookmarks. You can export portions of your favorites (like this this subset of my main list in IE) or all of them, and get a webpage to come out of it.

or if you just want to backup your favourites or give them to a friend, they are just shortcuts stored in

C:\Documents and Settings\<USERNAME>\Favorites

by default

Quote:
by insaNity
or if you just want to backup your favourites or give them to a friend, they are just shortcuts stored in
C:\Documents and Settings\<USERNAME>\Favorites
by default
Why would you want to faff around doing it that way? The way Clutch described can be used for backing up favorites, or for giving them to a friend - to import an exported list you simply use the same procedure, except you select Import rather than Export.

Having said that though, if you are only backing up because you want to do a reinstall & you have more than 1 drive/partition then it is easier to just keep your favourites on a different drive/partition & then when you reinstall use a tweak prog like Xteq-Xsetup to look elsewhere for the favourites instead of the default location.

faff around?

it's way easier to just copy the files. 1 drag and 1 drop.

besides, because it is a standard windows shortcut, you will be able to use them with any browser, providing you have it set to your default browser.

Every time I install a system, I export my favorites and cookies and just bring them over to my new system. They import very easily, as they are just 2 files (as I have almost 600 bookmarks in 100+ folders, that helps me a bit) to keep track of. Also, he asked how to export them into a single HTML page, which the copy and paste method wouldn't accommodate anyway.

how long does that take in miliseconds?

I know he was asking that, but I was just putting that there for other peoples information. He aleady had the question answered.

Try to FTP it from a remote computer, and then tell me. With all the file status requests, it takes quite a long time vs. using one simple file.

Wow, this is much better than waiting for updates to Trillian when AOL jacks them... smile

So, now we add another step AND application to the mix eh? You are dedicated to your method, aren't you? :P

my method has more uses wink

look, I was just mentioning an alternative/related tip

THATS ALL

IM NOT TRYING TO FORCE IT ON ANYONE, I WAS JUST TRYING TO BE HELPFUL!!!!

ARGHHHH!!! :P

for god's sake, clutch answered my question. Thank you though for your tip Insanity, even though i was well aware that it could be done that way.