Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
RavishingRocket

SuperDisk drive.....

somehow my comp set my drive letter to "B" instead of "A" and i wanna know how i can change it back to "A". I've went into the control panel and to computer management, but its not listed under the drives. It was set to "A" at one point, but i had to disable the drive cuz the IDE cable to it broke and now i got a new cable and it went to drive letter "B". Any suggestions?? Thanx in advance

Either there will be a setting in your BIOS on about it, or you have connected drive Bs connector to the drive, try using the last connector on the cable - floppys still use cable select see to determine which is A and B (afaik).

i set the disk drive to cable select and put it at the end of the cable, but then i couldn't get my cpu to recongize my cd-rom. So i had to set the superdisk drive back to slave and put the cd-rom back at the of the cable. About the bios, my disk drive manual said to set the drive as if i didn't have a floppy drive

Aaaahh SUPER Drive! Gotcha ! heh. I was thinking you just meant a floppy... sorry no experience with that !

Make sure it is set to the Master on your Secondary IDE controller. I think if you make it the slave, it will come up as B:

u should goto Device Manager and check that u have

1. One "Standard floppy disk controller" under "Floppy disk controllers"

and

2. one "High-Capacity Floppy Disk Drive" under "Floppy disk drives"

I don't have anything saying "standard floppy disk controller"

i did a search for new hardware and looked in the available list but didn't see it. how would i install it?

In the BIOS, make sure that for both 5 1/4 floppy and 3 1/2 floppy you have "Not Installed"

Wherever your drive is installed on the IDE chain, make sure in the BIOS it is set to "Auto". So if it is set as the Secondary Slave, make sure it says "Auto" in the BIOS for the Secondary Slave.

I had the same problem with my LS 120 until I had to re-install W2k due to a screw up I made. After the re-install the LS 120 was now using A instead of B. Have no idea why!