Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Xoxide

Share a net connection on a Windows PC to RH 8

Is there a possiblity that a Windows xp machine connected to the internet can share an internet connection on a cross-over cable with an rh 8 linux dual booted with windows xp machine. If so can someone point me in the right direction in getting it working, and any help with just making the network connection work would be much appritiated even if it can't share an Internet connection. By the way this internet connection is 56k frown.

The only reason I am doing it this way is because my modem in a winmodem and won't work in linux. I'm just to cheap to buy a linux compatible modem...How doesn't want to save a couple of $$.

No problem doing this at all. Just share your windows xp connection like you would do for a windows pc. Then on your RH8 pc set your gateway and DNS server to be the IP address of your windows xp pc.

Quote:
The only reason I am doing it this way is because my modem in a winmodem and won't work in linux. I'm just to cheap to buy a linux compatible modem...How doesn't want to save a couple of $$.

What sort of chipset is on your Winmodem?

Linux drivers for several Winmodem chipsets are available: http://www.linmodems.org/