Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Manos

Explorer and ICQ amongst other stuff...

Well earlies in a thread in the Hardware section I explained my probbs with my IBM Deskstar HD. As I today got my new IBM Deskstar 120GXP 80GB HD and installed it. It made disturbing noises aswell... those stopped however and after installing XP i noticed that the icons in the left window of explorer were missing?

They showed up later however and all was fine untill i put in my old (not so good HD) to extract some files from it and after that the icons are gone. I have tried everything from refreshing them to rebuilding icons using Tweak UI.

I also installed ICQ and then copied my ICQ from my old HD over the new one (I have done this before without any probbs) but ICQ wont connect? The difference from the other times is that this time (after a stupid mistake) my OS is on F: instead of C: (this can't have anyting to do with it, can it?)

Other than this I must say that the GXP120 is a very lownoise and fast HD!

Appreciate any help on the matter...

PS I have tried to install themes to get the icons working, but no luck frown

hi Manos,

I can't answer you regarding ICQ coz I don't use it but I have the same trouble with the disapearing icons in explorer (folder view)

I had some hardware problems and was forced, two weeks ago, to reinstall XP but something occured during setup, don't know what exactly but xp was installed in I: instead of C: (though it's the first partition on the first HD) and since then... no icons in explorer

tonight i tried something, an old DOS command :

subst c: i:\

... and the icons are back in explorer

now i'm trying to find out WHY

A substancial amout of time has passed since my entering of this post and the ICQ thing was fixed by installing again.

The Expolrer Icons are there now. I havn't done anything to get them back, they just appeared once and now they are there to stay.

I think your icons will appear too in time smile

You might want to check to see if everything is ok with your hard drive also. I've read multiple bad reviews about the latest IBM hard drives. In fact, I think there's a lawsuit against them currently for 120GXP drive failures. Also, it seems IBM has released a statement saying the 120GXP drives are only supposed to be operated for no more than 8 hours a day and should not be powered on for more than that. Anyway, don't think this'll help you solve your software problems, but thought it'd be something you should know. You can read more about this at www.storagereview.com and www.viahardware.com. They both have huge stories covering this.