Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Hellafax

C: going from UDMA4 -> PIO Mode After a cold boot...

Ok -- yet another problem here --

I can restore my settings to those of a few days ago, and my HDD and CDRom stay as a UDMA4 and MultiWord DMA-2 respectively, - as long as I don't shut it off. Restarts seem to be fine, though as the setting are retained.

I do, however get these errors in the system log:

Two ATAPI Errors:

"The device, \Device\Ide\IdePort0, did not respond within the timeout period."

"The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePort0."

I get a few of these within 15-20seconds in the startup. I also have, though unsure if its relative --

an ACPI error (hehe)

"AMLI: ACPI BIOS is attempting to read from an illegal IO port address (0xcfc), which lies in the 0xcf8 - 0xcff protected address range. This could lead to system instability. Please contact your system vendor for technical assistance."

Anywho, anyone have any clue???

this has happened to me several times....my secondary IDE channel goes from DMA 2 (master: Pioneer 105s DVD, slave: Yamaha CDR2100) to PIO mode 4. This usually happens to my system after I install Nero (any 5.x version), or after I install any VIA 4in1 driver pack.

however the fix is easy, although time consuming...insert your XP CD-rom and repair the installation...you will find that tranfer modes will have been restored to DMA... smile...try this and see if it works for you.

Regards,

tsonta101

If Windows XP detects 6 write errors with DMA access to a device (most notably CDRWs) then it will demote the device once step, i.e. UDMA2 to UDMA1, UDMA1 to PIO. You can fix this, assuming there was some other reason why DMA access was failing, but just uninstalling both the device itself and the IDE chain it is attached to. This will force a reinstall of these devices at the next reboot and you will be back to where you started.

:}

Yah, thx -- uninstalling the primary IDE and doing a reboot seems to work, but a pain in the ***, to say the least.

Now, if we could just figure out why we get the Timouts in the first place, that would seem to solve that problem, eh?

frown

Cheers...

Hey kids --

I seem to have fixed my problem, by hard-setting the DMA mode of the HDD. I have a Fujitsu MPG3204AT-E - which supports UDMA5, though my MoBo (Abit VA6) only supports UDMA4 at the max. So I checked the Fujitsu Canada website, and downloaded the DMA Mode program, and set the drive to UDMA4. No more timeouts.

Cheers -- hopefully this helps someone else, too... 8Þ