Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Manos

Badass HD probbs!

I bought this HD (IBM Deskstar 75GXP 30GB) 17 months ago. I had a PII back then with a 6GB HD and this HD was a major upgrade in storage posibilities.

Then about 9 months ago I bought a new Mobo, processor and ram along with another HD (IBM Deskstar 60GXP 60GB). And about 3 weeks ago I needed to whipe my XP and reinstall (It had not been whiped for a while).

As I wanna install I get some strange things going... XP refuses to install to my drive. It sais that there isn't a compatible partition... So i go out in the repair shell thingy and format to NTFS (Shouldn't have to cause the install progg fixes this normally). Still it won't install...

I take the drive (30GB one) to my friends and we backup stupp from another partition and we find a problem on it using partition magic. The error is corrected but i still can't install...

So i take the drive to the shop where i bought it and the run IBM HD repair on it. After that all is ok.

Then A week later the HD starts to make scratch noises agai (it did so before also). I used chkdsk /r to repair and recover data from unredable segments (12 at the time). Then 4 days later the sound start again... another chkdsk /r and 18 segments are unredable... that was done today. And now (4 hours later) it makes the scratch sound again and it will keep deteriorating... i know this for a fact... When my new 80 IBM Deskstar 120GXP arrives I will ghost my partition to that one and send it in again...

This isn't so much of a question, but do anyone have anything to say about what i have been experiencing?

-Thx guys!

Another 75GXP down the crapper. These drives are notorious for failure. One guy I talked to had 5 out of 8 75GXP die so far.

i built and sold a lot of computers with this drive in them and luckily none of them have failed. but i have heard of many of them failing from many people so i am not surprized