Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Jobe

Disappearing RAM!

Ok, this is kind of an odd problem. Today I booted up and decided to

download 3d mark 2k and noticed that it listed my system specs as having only 384mb RAM. This is odd because I have 512mb. I restarted a couple times and still, only 384mb. I then went into the BIOS and set my RAM timings to normal (they were on turbo), and disabled fast POST. It read all the RAM twice and said it was 384mb. Then, I shut down and took out my second chip of 256mb and booted up. Oddly enough it showed my 1st chip as only having 128mb! So, now I know which chip is funky. I then tried it in every DIMM and it reported as 128mb in each, so I'm doubting it's a problem with the motherboard. Any ideas here guys?

2x 256mb Crucial PC2100 DDR. Unbuffered, NOT ECC. Was NOT overclocking at the time, but was using the Turbo setting for the RAM.

Epox 8KHA+ mobo, Athlon XP 1700+

I would try another machine, if you have one handy. I thought I received the wrong RAM the other day, until I popped it into two different machines. One saw it as a 256, while the others read 128. A BIOS upgrade to the other two has them seeing things more clearly.