Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Brian Frank

Infinite reboot

Okay, this is puzzling. A guy I know from work is having some serious problems anytime he tries to install any drivers under XP. It ends up sending him into an infinite loop. He's reinstalled XP several times, to no avail.

His setup:

-Abit KG7, latest BIOS

-Athlon XP 1600+

-512MB PC2100

-Western Digital 80GB HDD

-Plextor 12/10/40

-Radeon 8500

-SoundBlaster Audigy OEM

-3Com PCI modem

-400W PSU

I'm rather stumped here and need major help to help him. Anythoughts?

This is an AMD 761/Via 686B chipset combo, FWIW.

Well i have a friend who has the same board and it has agp power problems so it might be his board casue i have heard alot of peeps complaining bout that board

The 23.11 drivers would be nice, but he has an ATI Radeon 8500. That's not an nvidia card last time I checked.

Oops so it isn't sorry didn't see it. Never heard of that problem on the Radeon only Nvidia. Have you got the latest drivers? I did see some new ones out this week.

Hmmm, Shrek I think you're getting confused over the infinite part - Brian's not talking about the nVidia "infinte loop" BSOD, I think he means that once the drivers have been installed, and the computer restarted, WinXP crashes, resets, crashes, resets, crashes, resets, ad infinitum...

Brian, what error is appearing before the system resets? The only time I've seen this happen is when I installed XP on a friends PC which contained some bad RAM (took me a whole afternoon, and several re-installs before I got it worked out)...is XP stable before he installs any drivers?

Rgds

AndyF

Well, I did change the RAM out with a stick of my own that's been running great in my own system. I took out his modem, Audigy, and Radeon and things didn't get any better. BSOD after the first reboot as well. I'll have to look into it, but I'm pretty sure this board is bad. I told the guy to get a different board as of lately, I've been reading about people having some serious issues with the board, including clutch. One local shop I talked to said they're dropping the KG7 for it's problems. Lovely, as I could've used the info a few weeks ago before the system parts were ordered.

Nope I didnt get confused. My first post I didn't see what spes I just saw the infinite loop problem and jumped in head first. Thought he reffered to Nvidia. Never herad of the problem with the Radeons though. As I stated in my 2nd post I cleared this up.

Quote:

Hmmm, Shrek I think you're getting confused over the infinite part - Brian's not talking about the nVidia "infinte loop" BSOD, I think he means that once the drivers have been installed, and the computer restarted, WinXP crashes, resets, crashes, resets, crashes, resets, ad infinitum...

Brian, what error is appearing before the system resets? The only time I've seen this happen is when I installed XP on a friends PC which contained some bad RAM (took me a whole afternoon, and several re-installs before I got it worked out)...is XP stable before he installs any drivers?

Rgds

AndyF

Found thsi thread that shred some light on it.

http://www.theddrzone.com/news.asp?id=404

I have had agood look and there doesnt seem to be a fix. I did have the problem earlier this week and I fixed it by using a different driver. Can I suggest you do the same even if it means an newer and or older driver. It worth having a stable system that one that reboots.

Well it sounds to me liek its the mobo. Liek you've already said. My friends comp had some serious probbs aswell and I tried everything untill i tried to boot whith only the HD and a really old 4MB videocard. That did the trick, but then i checked his real videocard in my comp and it ran fine... so i switched the ram and that was fine too... only mobo left...

Yup. Tried a v/c switch...voodoo 3 2000 PCI, in case the AGP slot wasn't gonna play nice. Never could get past the first reboot. I told the guy to get something from Asus or MSI--because those boards work!