Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Scout

DVD for Red Hat 8.0?

Hello i was courious if there was a DVD player out there for Red Hat 8.0 and if so where do you get it

Thanks Scout

You could try ogle or mplayer or xine or mplayer or video lan client. Or soon they should be releasing the public version of LinDVD (from the makers of WinDVD).

People, don't forget the power of apt-get and/or Synaptic. Install these and software installations will be a breeze afterwards.

It cannot get easier than:

"apt-get install ogle ogle-gui"

smile

U even get icons for it in the programs/multimedia folder...

That would be assuming they have a Debian-based OS, or are using apt4rpm on a rpm-based OS (but I don't know if there are any ogle packages setup for the apt4rpm crowd yet).

Ok now im really lost. Would this be the reason I could not get anything installed from the links above?

SCOUT

"Women are A Beautiful Evil"

@clutch: u don't have to have Debian in order to use apt-get smile I will post the link later on...

Just install ogle.

They have RH8 rpm's at their website.

You can figure out apt-get later.

people - he asked for a dvd player, not what your opinion on package management and fetching is.

http://www.dtek.chalmers.se/groups/dvd/redhat.shtml

ogle works very well for me.

Just remember to turn on dma for your dvd drive.

They tell how to do that in the ogle faq.

thanks allot i was almost given up on this forum ill give that a try

Scout

Even though this doesn't strictly concern Red Hat it is related to DVD playback: I'm trying to use MPlayer to play DVDs because it's one of two programs that are known to work with the dxr3/em8300 drivers (and therefore my Hollywood Plus) and the other (Xine) sucks ass. With lots of fiddling (mplayer is primarily a command-line driven program and with no stable support for navigation of DVD menus, trying to find the film on a disc crammed full of useless fluff takes a lot of stabbing in the dark) I've managed to get it to play DVDs but I'm having a problem with subtitles. The main problem is that several subs, particularly shorter ones, aren't staying on screen long enough to be read. Another problem is that when two subs are being displayed at once mplayer has a habit of blanking both which is a huge disruption when you're trying to read them. Is there any way to correct this without having to rip the subs from the DVD?

Xine's only works for me ( for the DVD discs , not avi mpgs etc )

Ogle runs but when i press open disc it just closes.

Xine's goes like hell and real smooth , if anyone wants help about the

frame loss during playback let me know ... i've managed to force the

dma in a scsi emulation combo dvd/cdrw in a laptop compaq and works fine

Btw if someone knows about the ogle prob i'd appreciate it.

Farewell