Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lucas

Changing processor under Windows 2000

Hey people, I'm quite new in these forums. I have a problem with my Windows 2000/XP. I have a p3 motherboard with both Slot 1 and socket 370 (or whatever that number is), but I've a p2 350mhz installed. I tried to change my processor and upgrade to a p3 1100mhz, but everytime I tried, my Windows 2000 hangs up after aprox. 10 min running. Same problem with WinXP. Is there any way to change my processor without reinstalling my Windows? I have too much stuff and formatting would be a pain. Thanks a lot!

Any number of things can cause lockups. Changing the CPU only normally doesn't have any affect on the system other than a speed increase. Your post is a little unclear about how many processors you have installed. Also what motherboard are you using? What about memory? Is you memory PC133 or is it PC100? Changing the fsb to accomodate a new processor can cause memory instabilities if the memory is not rated for the new speed.

Ed

My memory is PC133. My cooling is ok. I don't know exactly what motherboard I have, all I can tell is that it has both Slot 1 and Socket 370, and it's a Pentium III motherboard. It's a Windows fail or it's a motherboard incompatibility with the Pentium III 1100? I also thought Windows can't fail with that. Ever happened? I think I could try with a 1000 or something. I have my 350 overclocked to 433, but always got the bus back to 133 when I tested the 1100.

I don't think so, could be, so it can't be Windows? I'm sure I can't change a motherboard without reinstalling Windows 2000, but a processor...

Anyway can a motherboard be changed without reinstalling w2k?

I feel like a stupid... ;(

No, I would highly recommend that you do not change your motherboard and retain the same OS installation, due to major differences in architecture and the harddisk subsystem that might be present. It *might* be possible that your changeover from one type of processor to another could be causing these issues (although I thought people have done this with Celeron to P2/3 CPUs before), but I haven't done that before myself.

With Windows 98, you could usually get away with swapping motherboards and still be able to boot, and reinstall all the new hardware. Windows 2000 is a lot more picky. I would just reinstall Win2k.

Ok, thanks all, I'll sacrifice my Windows when I upgrade (I don't want yet, enough processor, well at least by now :), and I wanna keep my windows a while more... I don't like blank windows :))