Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Damien

System has recovered from a serious error dialogue problem

Hi Guys,

Don't know if anyone has come accross this, but each time I boot in to XP Professional, I get the System has recovered from a serious error dialogue box. The system hasn't had any such errors recently, so there seems to be something corrupted in the registry that is making this appear ever time I log in regardless of whether the computer has come accross a problem or not. Anyone know how to fix this annoyance???

Many thanks,

Damien.

Hello,

A lot of people have reported this and as far as we all know this is a known issue.

Even if you choose to actually report the fault to MS it still appears on every single boot.

I did have exactly the same problem, for no less than two weeks on every single boot I would get the same message you did.

However, as suddenly as it started doing it, it suddenly stopped.

One day I booted up and didn't get the message and I haven't had it since.

Don't be suprised if after a while it does stop, also expect this issue to be fixed in Service Pack 1 (February/March).

Cheers for that I thought it must be a known problem. I'm still somewhat unconvinced about XP, I think that a lot of the coding under the skin of the system is 'pretty crappy' especially when compared to Windows 2000, which is generally agreed to be the best NT platform available right now. My work sometime involves a lot of interaction with OS/2 which is a far better system, though now delegated to the corporate sector, so is not a wise choice for someone like me who is predominently interested in running software designed for the Microsoft platforms - oh well with service packs, things can only get better ......

Well, what needs to be remembered is that once you get 'under the bonnet' of WinXP it isn't very different from Win2k.

Where as Win2k was a completely new OS, written from the ground up and the big lettering 'based on NT Technology' was there just to tell you it used the NT way of doing things (HAL etc), WinXP is nothing more than a service revision for Win2k - Call WinXP to Win2k what Win98 SE was to Win98.

They share some 90%+ of the same code.

Once you take into consideration the additions in WinXP, IE6, New Media Player, DirectX 8.1, the know bugs in Win2k being fixed, you've already accounted for 95% of the differences.

What you've got left is the transition from an OS MS touts as for business only (Win2k) to an OS MS touts as cross-platform and for everyone (WinXP).

When you look at the bugs that WinXP actually has, there really aren't that many.

As first releases of OS's go, WinXP really isn't a bad effort.

WinXP shipped with a fair few 'known bugs' but MS like all companies have to work to a deadline, they can't keep putting back the release date to fix all the bugs and sometimes they just have to let it go and fix it later - as far as I'm aware there aren't any show-stopping bugs in WinXP - The great majority of problems can be tied down to being 3rd party driver/application issues.

I'm sure Service Pack 1 will fix most of the most annoying bugs and a load most people didn't even know about.

Of course it's going to be fun a plenty once Blackcomb is released, as once again we are looking at a new OS from the ground up.

I think you are right in what you say, I have no real problems with Win XP, except for some annoying glitches, and I also think that people expect a lot more nowadays. When I think about the type of hardware I have in my system - complicated SCSI disk subsystem, hardware DVD card, Matrol RT2500 videoediting card, not to mention all the Yamaha sound equipment, systems such as XP do handle all of this demanding hardware very well, and I haven't come across many major problems.

Unfortunately working with corporate hardware does somewhat spoil you, and you expect home equipment to perform with the same degree of stability, which due to the vast amounts of different hardware configurations users have in various machines, would seem to be an almost impossible task.

I have to say though that I have had more annoying problems with XP than I ever had with 2000, and I've already reinstalled the OS several times to get it working properally. Out of the entire time I was running 2000, I think I re installed it once. You're right to say that you think things will shape up with the release of SP1 which wilkl hopefulky fix the inevitable bugs that a new operating system brings.