Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
dcxman

What is an "unregmp2.exe"

I created roaming user accounts a while back in July for some clients which are "managed" so that they can't change the settings and now a couple of the accounts seem to get an error when they login. It reads as "Could not start unregmp2.exe" and then switches to a "Now creating a report for unregmp2.exe". What baffles me is that this error does not show up on every system they login to and the other roaming accouts are fine.

Anybody heard of this?

Thanks in advance.

Nothing specific, but a thought for troubleshooting.

Are each of these machines running the same OS/service pack?

If so, do any of the ones giving the error have anything specific in common?

On the Win98 machine (they can't all be 2k)I am currently using to write this, unregmp2 is literally what it sounds like, the Microsoft Windows Media Player Setup Utility. If this is the case, it sounds like one of two things. If they have admin rights (doubtful from what I read) then something is amiss with Media player. If not, then they may not have rights to set up the "personal settings" that their profile is trying to apply while hitting the desktop on those machines. This is similar to what Front Page and IE do.

Hope it helps.

Thanks pbuckne.

Actually what you just stated helps a bit. I am running a Win2K domain but one room only has service pack1 beacause of certain specialized apps using it which can't function with service pack2. but the other rooms with service pack2 still get an error with one of the roaming accounts but not both which is better I guess. What I don't understand is that all of my roaming accounts have the same domain user level priveleges and permissions but why do these one or two accounts act up with the unregmp2.exe error at the beginning of login and the others don't?

Well I appreciate the help and will look more closely into Media Players role with my domain setup.

Thanks again.