Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Pikey

I'm missing system files on XP according to Norton Utilities

Hi

Got a problem with Windows XP Pro. Or rather, Norton Utilities 2002 believes that I have a problem with it.

Everytime I run WinDoctor it comes up with a missing file dialogue, and that it cannot repair a missing system file.

The file in question is as follows: C:\WINDOWS\System32\MAPISRVR\.EXE

That it can’t repair a missing file is fair enough, but I’ve run sfc.exe to scan and repair missing files and the problem persists with WinDoctor and/or there is no real problem. Suffice to say XP is still running like a champ, but Norton keeps giving this reported missing system file.

I’ve got no idea what it is, so I’m calling on your expertise.

Has anyone got any idea what this missing file is, and can I safely instruct Norton to ignore it? If sfc can’t pick up on it, then it can’t be that crucial, and XP file protection background scans would have picked it up long ago. I’m beginning to wonder why the hell I bother with Norton Utilities, as all it seems to do is clear up Active X files, but this is bothering me, for no good reason really.

Any ideas?

Um, by the way. I’ve had to disable 'Background Intelligent Transfer Service' due to it causing certain aspects of explorer to hang while it tries to load at startup. It loads, but it takes about 2 minutes repeated timeouts to do so. Can’t say I’ve missed it’s functionality, and it only occurred after an AutoUpdate (!). Any tips about that one while I’m here?

So, XP is running like a champ apart from these two glitches! wink

Oh, and my cat keeps sleeping on my scanner……….

Pikey

I'm not impressed with Norton Utilities under either Windows 2000 or XP. WinDoctor often misreports things. My advice is to only run WinDoctor when you are having a serious problem and it is the last resort. Speed Disk is still a great utility. In fact, it's the only part of NU that I use.

yeah ive warned/been warned about WinDoctor in NT 5+ it has been reported to screw up more installs than it helps.

Ditch norton. In win 2k, i had to reinstall cause it deleted files it said i did not need, then BAM reboot, won't start up, THNX NORTON!!!

i only use AntiV and speed disk, but even that is rare.

Xp, and MS built in stuff does me just fine.

Hi

Thanks for the input. It looks as though you are all probably right. Norton Utilities, aside from SpeedDisk, just isn't worth it.

It's now reporting false 'Security Descriptors' problems on the c drive. Running XP Check Disk reports no errors at all.

Funny that.

Perhaps Symantec stay in business by creating problems as fast as it supposedly fixes them?

Surely with the benefit of an NT code base in 2000 and XP, such so called "Utilities" are now pretty much redundant anyway?

I'm ditching 'em.

Cheers

Quote:

Hi

Got a problem with Windows XP Pro. Or rather, Norton Utilities 2002 believes that I have a problem with it.

Everytime I run WinDoctor it comes up with a missing file dialogue, and that it cannot repair a missing system file.

The file in question is as follows: C:\WINDOWS\System32\MAPISRVR\.EXE
Pikey

Have you perchance installed Microsoft Office and any of the service packs? If so, check to see if it was referring to either a file called GAPI32.DLL OR MAPI32.DLL. If so, check the C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\Mapi\1033\NT folder and if you see the file you were getting the missing file error about. If so, copy it and place it into your system32 folder. This should fix you right up... Happens to me every single time once I've installed any of the Office apps and/or Office service packs.. Norton always gives me the error that it is a missing file, but what I think it really is, is that the Office install breaks a link to the files somewhere. Copying it into the system folder fixes the issue.

Quote:
by Pikey
Oh, and my cat keeps sleeping on my scanner……….

Maybe he/she has been looking @ the following site:
Http://www.cat-scan.com smile

Quote:
by OLEerror
I'm not impressed with Norton Utilities under either Windows 2000 or XP. WinDoctor often misreports things. My advice is to only run WinDoctor when you are having a serious problem and it is the last resort. Speed Disk is still a great utility. In fact, it's the only part of NU that I use.

I still use Speed Disk as well, but I miss the look & feel & features of the Win9x version of SD. Compared to that the 2K/XP version of SD looks like something that could have believeably been made for 95 & released just after 95 was 1st released! [on a magazine CD for free!] It's also slower than the 9x version.

Belated thanks to Xyphus.

It was the Office SR1 MAPI32.DLL. in question after all.

Sorry for not getting back here with an affirmative sooner, but that WAS the fault - not Norton Utilities at all!

Many thanks for your feedback Xyphus, and Alien - that cat.scan site is very cool! Wouldn't want to risk my jugular putting my Ginger Tom under the scanner though, he likes it just fine on top.

Anyway,

Cheers

Pikey