Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Winger300

W2K Server ICS DNS trouble

Im using ICS to share my broadband connection, im using a USB DSL modem.

Ive setup AD, DHCP and DNS, but clients cannot resolve external names, but can ping external IP addresses.

Im guessing i need to setup another DNS server for external name resolution and one for internal network names. How do i do this?

Setup your internal DNS servers to use "forwarders", and have those forwarders set to your old outside (ISP) DNS server IPs.

It wont let me set that becuase i have it set as a root dns server. So i suppose the question to be asked is how do i change that?

I've read most of that and im still unsure of what to do. Im told "Forwarders are not available becuase this is a root server" but cannot find how i change the server.

If i remove the DNS network component and re-install it, it reports that it cannot set the root hints in the registry.

When i first configure it, i can set the Forwarders, but then once ive closed the console and opened it again, its all ghosted. Any ideas what to do?

What ive done now is set up DHCP to give clients my isp's DNS server ip. This allows the connecting computers Internet access, but i guess then i loose caching, recursion and internal DNS data.

I would still like to know how i enable my server to allow forwarders.

Thanks for the help so far though.

Doing that will degrade and eventually destroy your client's ability to resolve AD resources. I would suggest reading through the documentation on setting up DNS, and then starting over. It isn't hard, but you need to understand the concept before you jump into it again.

I just removed AD and installed it again, im not sure what ive done differently this time, but it looks like its all working properly as it should. Thanks