Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
cuarch

Printer sharing problems

I am fairly new to networking, so bare with me! laugh In my office, we are running 3 Win 2000 Pro machines, 3 Win 98 machines, and 1 Win 95 machine. We were running at Win NT 4.0 server, till our hard drive crashed, so we bought a new one with Win 2000 server on it, and had to start over from scratch. I went thru all the wizards, and got the client computer to access shared files and printers. I am having two problems though...

1. It appears as if the Win 2000 Pro machines aren't "logging" into the server. They are able to use the shared resourses, but I get netlogon errors, such as event id: 5513. I don't understand what is going on. Could it be that they were setup to use the NT 4.0 server and not this one?

2. This problem may be related to the one above, but one of the Win 2000 Pro clients has a printer than needs to be shared. I have enabled sharing and all that fun stuff, but none of the other clients can see it, not even the server. I have a printer shared on a Win 98 machine, and the clients can see that.

Any help would be much appreciated. I am running outta patience with this mess!! frown

First, for the event id, check www.eventid.net ::edited the url so it was correct:: to see what info they have around for your error. Next, are you running peer to peer / workgroup? A domain? Active Directory? Using DNS? DHCP? Your problems could stem from one, a few or all of these, if missing a setting.

If you search for the printer, will any of the networked machines find it?

/L.A

Thanks for the reply. I tried to pull up that link you sent, but it appears to be broken. I am running a domian network. I have Active Directory running, as well as DNS and DHCP. None of the other machines on the network can find the printer, not even the server. The computer name shows up, but that is it. Now, when I search the network for the printer on that particular machine sharing the printer, I can see it. That is why I think it is not logging on properly. Would the reason be switching from NT 4.0 to W2k Server? Just a thought.

whoopsie. www.eventid.net was the right url.

If the shares are AD shares and not simple shares, and your clients see the shares, the client is logging on, most likely. Depending on the errors you're getting of course. I think you'll have to add the printer on your client as an AD object as well, for other clients to see it.

your error

[This] probably means that the workstation might have lost its own account and the workstation is no longer "trusted" by (or rather, a member of) the domain and that can happen, but in a Win2K AD you can try to either reset the account by right clicking on the computer in AD Users and Computers and selecting "reset account," or make it join a workgroup, and then rejoin. But this seems to indicate that it won't work, though it normally does. Just delete the old account and let it cycle out of the domain while your client is not a member.

(clutch)

We can try to figure something else out if this doesn't work for you.

/L.A

When you setup your new OS, did you have all of your workstations join your new domain/workgroup, or just try to recreate the accounts manually on the server? NT works on the principle of SIDs (Security IDs-which is why you can rename an account and still keep all of the permissions that were assigned to it), and these IDs are unique to the installation. You could install Win2K on a server, give it a domain name, and then create a user and wind up with SID "A". However, if you repeat the exact same process (domain and all) on another server, you would more than likely NOT get the same SID. Since you went from NT4 to Win2K, I can guarantee that they wouldn't wind up with the same SIDs, and the machine accounts would no longer match.

So, what to do. Well, you can try to reset the account and see if they'll sync the new SID and generate a new password, or just have the machine join another generic workgroup and then delete the account (recommended). Afterward, let the machine rejoin the domain. NT-based systems are much more strict about using SIDs than 9X OSs, which is why many administrative functions are no longer permitted from 9X boxes.