Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Winger300

Slow transfers

Im using a no-name 5Port 100mb Switch, two machines connected running at 100mb, and an uplink to a 10mb hub with some others connected.

My problem now is that file transfers using ftp between machines only operates at around 1000k/s which is only a tenth of what it should be.

Any ideas what the problem is? Im using IIS to host the ftp site on one of the machines.

Is that 1000 kBytes/s or 1000 kbits/s ?

'Cause 1000 kBytes/s is pretty good for a 10Mbit network whereas 1000kbits/s would be cause for concern.

Oh, you mentioned an uplink to a 10Mbit hub so I guessed (wrongly) that you were using that.

For a 100Mbit network you should expect transfer rates up to 6MBytes/s

Check that the client machines are not mistakenly set to 10Mbit. Try disabling QoS Packet Scheduler for the connection. Other than that I don't know what to suggest.

Posted by Winger300 Re: Slow transfers

It seems that transfers are much slower in one direction than the other. The machine with the internet connection transfers files to the other machine at 4MB/s whereas in the other direction its around 500KB/s!

Well i took the card back, and got it replaced for a Dlink one, now transfers are 7MB/s in both directions!