Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
riz

acdsee slow in loading pictures?

hey all,

I have a p3 700 with 512Mb of ram, a GeForce vid card and ACDSee 4.0.1 installed on WinXP. I have 2 hard drives, a 40Gb WD 7200RPM UDMA 66 drive and a 30Gb WD 5400RPM UDMA 66 drive. My pictures, regardless of what size they are, always load VERY slow. when I press PGDN or PGUP to go through them, they also load VERY damn slow. For a while after it loads the picture, i can't move up or down and then when it does it's very sluggish.

I have ACDSee on my 600Mhz laptop with a slow *** harddrive, and the pictures load very fast. I can even move betweeen pictures while the picture is loading, which i can't do on my main PC.

Any idea as to why the pictures load slow? It's really been killing me. I think i've tried all the settings (and they are the same) between my two computers.

I've noticed that even in details mode in window explorer, all icons for my pictures take a very long time to load (into the photoshop icons)

agh. i'm lost.

help.

Move to ACDC 3.1 and get back to speed with full screen settings. ACDC 4.0 is resource hungry and much slower besides being sunk down by useless extras.

tried acdsee 3.1 but i get the same problems, even after i removed all registry settings, etc. to ensure a clean install

any more ideas? I'm thinking it's a hardware thing - like because my HDs are using my abit MB's UDMA 66 channels instead of regular EIDE primary/secondary

riz

The program may be building a database while Windowx XP may be building thumbnails. Avoid those settings and check Tools, Folder options, View, Do not cache thumbnails options.

hey guys,

I tried disabling the caching of thumbnails, but it seems that the slow sluggishness is when you are going from picture to picture (whether or not it is full screen). It's like this: When you double click on a thumbnail, sometimes it doesn't open the picture. You have to double click again and usually then it opens. The acdsee window goes invisible, and then the picture is slowly drawn onto the screen (in fullscreen). When I want to go the next picture I press PGDN, and it usually doesn't respond. I press 2-3 seconds later, and it switches. Unlike my laptop, I can't cycle quickly through pictures - I have to wait for the whole picture to load (which shouldn't take long in the first place) and then I have to wait 2-3 seconds before acdsee responds to my wanting to progress to the next picture.

Man, this sucks. Oh I tried, the windows picture and fax viewer, and that seems to run faster than acdsee, but still not as fast (it says generating preview... and then loads)

riz

It's probably the first time i see a new release of a program being way worst than the previous one!ACDSee 3.1 is miles better(even if it has nothing to do with your problem nz).

Assuming that the ACDC 4.0 Registry entries have all been deleted, which is very difficult to achieve, start ACDC 3.1, go to Tools menu, Options, Miscellaneous, choose Do Not Store nor Automatically Regenerate thumbnails.

see, the problem with the acdsee isn't the thumbnails - they load up very fast. The problem is when you double-click one to view the image; that takes forever, heh.

I even tried viewing pictures from both drives (C: and D smile with no luck. My harddrives are both very fast otherwise - dont' know why it takes so long to process a (*&)(*& picture!

Quote:

see, the problem with the acdsee isn't the thumbnails - they load up very fast. The problem is when you double-click one to view the image; that takes forever, heh.

I even tried viewing pictures from both drives (C: and D smile with no luck. My harddrives are both very fast otherwise - dont' know why it takes so long to process a (*&)(*& picture!

I am using ACDSee 4 with no problems with XP Home. Changing pictures in full screen using page down / page up is very fast. 0,2 s per picture for loading from both harddrives (C: and D smile or from CD-ROM.

I tried ACDSee 4.0, didn't like how it place an icon on your desktop so I switched back to 3.1.