Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Manos

Static IP and shared DSL

Well I dunno if anyone has a great answer, I guess i have to call my ISP about it, but i figured i could ventilate it to hear what you know... (If no one has a clue, it's ok, I will post the answer from my ISP here later on).

Well I have recently gotten a new ISP and with this DSL I don't have to connect everytime (Like with my old one. Ok I used LF connection keeper, so it was as if I didn't connect) It works like this:

I put in a gateway, DNS server and a IP number that is always mine and as soon as my comp is on it is connected to the net. But if I get a second comp and whant to have them both connected at the same time, the other com doesn't have a IP that my ISP will accept. I don't know how the ADSL routers work in this manner. And I also don't know if a 2nd Ethernet card in my 1st comp that connects to the 2nd one and the 2nd gets a IP from the 1st will work?

And also, if someone else uses my IP to connect, will I be "locked out" during that time? If a IP theft can be done, will my ISP notice it and log it so it won't happen again?

A lot of questions here, and I will get them answered, but plz feel free to thow in your thoughts!

Well, if your ISP has it set up for you as a static IP, then no one else will be able to use it. Someone else could set their computer to use your IP, but your ISP's equipment will route all of that other person's traffic to you, so it won't work at all for them.

On the other hand, if that IP isn't really a static but just one that you chose, then I would be surprised that it ever worked.... but in that case there would be nothing preventing someone else from using it, and whoever gets it first will be the only one that works.

As for sharing the connection, all you have to do is add a second ethernet card. Then in the properties for that first card (the DSL one) you enable internet connection sharing. Your second card will be assigned 192.168.0.1, and the other computer can get an IP from you dynamically (it will get 192.168.0.***).

Quote:
On the other hand, if that IP isn't really a static but just one that you chose

No, I got a IP on a paper from my ISP. I wasn't free to choose. But nothing sais that it is my comp that uses it? Maybe the physical location but nothing else.

Quote:
As for sharing the connection, all you have to do is add a second ethernet card. Then in the properties for that first card (the DSL one) you enable internet connection sharing. Your second card will be assigned 192.168.0.1, and the other computer can get an IP from you dynamically (it will get 192.168.0.***).

I mentioned that earlier but your way to put it was much better to understand smile

I havn't recieved an answer yet. But I will and I dunno if they can ad anything to what You've just said...

Thx CUViper!

If your ISP gave you that IP, then you have nothing to worry about. When they set up a static IP, it reserves that IP just for you. From the ISP's side, the easiest way for them to implement it is to set up the static route to your VPI/VCI (these are identifiers used for DSL connections). Because of this, that IP would be useless to everyone who doesn't have physical access to your DSL line.