Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Winger300

Alcatel USB DSL modem XP problem

Im getting a Driver_irq_notless_orEqual error with Alcan5wn.sys

Its a known problem with this modem and Windows XP. The solution posed is to use the PPP over Ethernet drivers instead of the PPPoA ones.

Problem is that the isp im using (BT internet) wont support PPPoE, and the modem can never make a connection. Which means that i have to use the PPPoA drivers.

Are there any other ways of making this thing work?

What's PPPoA?

Did you try to use XP's own built-in PPPoE drivers? Like start the network connection wizard, and follow from there. Here's a walkthrough, in German though, but you can relate to the pictures wink

http://www.online.arcor.net/

Then on the left choose "Arcor DSL Flatrate 128/768", then "Instalation und Konfiguration", then "for windows XP".

yeah, thats what im doing. WindowsXP has a PPPoE client, and im using Alcatel drivers that make the USB modem appear as a network adapter.

The problem is that the ISP im using wont allow PPPoE connections on its servers.

I still don't know what PPPoA is...

I don't know much about DSL in the UK. My DSL modem is external, and I don't need any drivers for it, just a NIC. What do you need to connect to your ISP, just user and password?

Its USB, the PPPoA drivers allow it to be used just like any other modem through dialup networking.

PPPoA = PPP over ATM

Have you tried using the latest drivers (1.4) from the Alcatel website?

I used to have problems, nailed them down to the VIA 4-in-1s - haven't had any problems with XP though.

Rgds

AndyF

I had this problem with the speedtouch drivers, but I installed the latest one and I have no longer that blue screen.

So take the latest driver I think

Im running version 1.4 which is the latest available on their website. I still get the BSOD after about 15hours use, sometimes less, sometimes longer.

Its annoying because i want to be able to leave my system unattended for days.

I have the same problem and using same ISP and same *hitty Alcatel v1.4 drivers. There are loads of people having problems with the modem, it is *hit and I would recommend to anyone DONT for good sake get a Alcatel modem there are pants. They are aware there is a problem but have done little to address these. If you dont believe me check here.

http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/postlist.pl?Cat=&Board=hardware

It is really doing my head in this modem.

If your using your motherboards onboard USB, that might be your problem. The ALcatel modem is quite fussy as your aware. Try using a USB card instead, such as a Belkin 4-port... works for me !

I have 4 USB hubs on my Abit kt7-Raid board. I did read that some people got a USB hub but it didn't help. However I am going to buy a hub soon as I have all my hubs used but not all at once though.

I may wait for a USB hub that supports USB 2 for future reference.

A hub won't solve the problem as it will still be connected to your MBs USB ports. You need a seperate card, seperate drivers, seperate implementation yeah.

I don't know about using a totally separate USB adapter, but I did see somewhere that the Alcatel ADSL modem does sometimes pull more power than is usual for USB; if it can't get this power, it can do some strange things.

The usual suggestion is to try plugging the ADSL modem into an external hub, which, being separately powered, is able to provide the extra power that the ADSL modem appears to need.

See adslguide.org for more info.

Rgds

AndyF

The reason for the seperate card is because VIAs implementation combined with the Alcatel slug is pants. It mostly effects dual processor systems but (obviously) some single chip systems are affected too.

So bearing this in mind, installing a hub plugged into the MB won't fix the problem. General consensous last time I checked over at ADSL Guide, was the Belkin 4-port USB card that I suggested.

Still worth a look though. Perhaps they have a better solution now.

Cheers guys, so am I right in saying a PCI USB card is better than a powered USB hub. The other point to mention is that USB 2 drivers are out now, so I presume that a USB hub and or USB PCI card that supports this would be best way to go for future reference. Seems pointless to buy a new hub if it don't support USB 2.

You are correct sir. Look for the Belkin USB 2.0 PCI hubs, they support full power to all ports.

This problem you are having could be due(like previous posts said) that when your DSL modem draws power it doesn't get it and therefore bombs out.

Have a look though, if you have a 250W psu with an AMD processor it's likely that because you are already overloading the PSU your having these problems, by adding a PCI card with 4 USB busses that draw more power you are not realy solving your problem, you are worstening it. It might be worth upgrading your PSU rather than buying a new USB card if you don't need it... Just a thought.

I dont think my problem is due to the power supply, as i have tried it on a Celeron system with BX motherboard and 300W PSU and also a PII system using an LX motherboard and 300W psu and both machines do the same with XP, but using Windows 2000 they are fine.

The problem is most definately WindowsXP and the modem drivers.

I already have a 300w PSU. USB does not draw much power from the ports and whilst I admit the 4 ports I do have are all used up not all are used at once, in fact the majority of teh time only one is used which is the Alcatel using it.

If it is a problem then why do I just get this from the modem? and not other devices. I do not recall any problems when I have used my printer, and scanner (all usb) whilst using my modem.

I think teh real problem with with the drivers and or Alcatle hardware.

Quote:

You are correct sir. Look for the Belkin USB 2.0 PCI hubs, they support full power to all ports.

This problem you are having could be due(like previous posts said) that when your DSL modem draws power it doesn't get it and therefore bombs out.

Have a look though, if you have a 250W psu with an AMD processor it's likely that because you are already overloading the PSU your having these problems, by adding a PCI card with 4 USB busses that draw more power you are not realy solving your problem, you are worstening it. It might be worth upgrading your PSU rather than buying a new USB card if you don't need it... Just a thought.

It is the hardware and the drivers. Driver wise they aren't thread safe, hardware wise they draw the full 500ma and sometimes, it trys to draw a bot more.. thats what MB USB ports can't hack.

Yes, absolutely - there's probably nothing wrong with your system, it's the POS Alcatel modem - both the hardware and the software. Apparently, Alcatel have never read the USB specs before they designed the modem wink

Unfortunately, that doesn't help those of us that are forced to use modems because that's all that BT let us use. Lets just hope that with the "wires only" installation model starting, that BT will let us use whatever modem/router we want!

AndyF

When you say the other modem do you mean the BT ADSL Router! If yes it works perfect, no software to load and even retains the username and password dont need to connect ether if the routers powered on it's connected it's that simple. I have got mine hooked up to a Intel pro 100 network card nice.

Regards Badboy

I was reffering to BT using an alternative modem I believe they have done recently, but can't remember the name.

Where did you get your router from? Did BT supply it?

Cheers