Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Deviant

Need For Speed High Stakes & XP ?

Hello men !

There are many threads here for Need For Speed Porsche and XP.

But I'd like to ask if someone has had success with older NFS High Stakes & XP...

The game always give me "The nfshs.exe is not valid Win32 application"

Please advise

Thanks and regards

D.

Try making a shortcut to the file and select open the shortcut`s properties.

Choose `compatible with win9x` (or something like that) and fire away

Yeah - exact the same ...

"nfshs.exe Is not valid Win32 application"

I've tried all compatibility modes but no good result ...

D.

Hmm..i`m running out of ideas smirk

Tried something like:

Code:
1. Extractnfshighstakes.exe using Winzip to a temporary directory (Knownfrom now on as "nfshsdir" directory).2. Run Setup.exe3. When you get the error message "This game only runs onWindows 95 or 98" copy the files in the directory"_ISTMP1.DIR" which is located in x:\Documents andSettings\User Name\Local Settings\Temp\ (where "x" isyour Win2000 boot drive/partition and User Name is your username) to the nfshsdir directory. Also copy the files in thedirectory "_ISTMP0.DIR" which is located in the"_ISTMP1.DIR" directory to the nfshsdir directory.4. Click OK to quit the error message.5. In the nfshsdir directory rename _INS5576._MP to _INS5576.EXE6. Copy ImageCFG.exe and SetWin95.cmd from the NT4.0/NT5b2/Win2000b3RC1 CD to the nfshsdir directory.7. Go to a command prompt, CD to the temporary directory. TypeSetWin95 _INS5576.EXE <ENTER>.8. Run _INS5576.EXE from the nfshsdir directory.9. Ignore the error message "Can not run Unicode version ofATL.DLL on Windows 95. Please install the correct version.10. Congratulations, you have just installed the Need for Speed4 Demo in Windows 2000.

Its the one from this site

High Stakes works fine normally under XP. You don't even need compatibility mode. Try uninstalling any Windows 2000 Compatibility updates if you upgraded from Win2k. Also uninstall it if you updated from 9x and just reinstall, it should work without a problem.

Pmistry are you serious ?

This has been the best message of the day for me

wink

I have fresh clean installation of XP which was normally installed from CD.No updates ,no patches ...

Maybe my GeForce MX400 and 23.11 Detonators are the problem.

What kind of High Stakes setup are you using ? Full,Minimal ?

OK thank you for reply - It is good hope for me ,if it works for you.

D.

Alright I am running the following:

Hercules 3D Prophet 2 MX [Nvidia GeForce2 MX], Detonator 23.11

Sound Blaster Live! Player 1024, Creative Labs drivers from Creative's web site.

Need For Speed: High Stakes Retail CD, no additional patches like the 4.5 patch, Full install.

Windows XP Professional 5.1.2600

For WinXP I have a few updates, but I installed all of these after High Stakes, in fact High Stakes was like the first application/game I installed on WinXP, cuz it gave me so many problems in Windows 2000. It has run without a problem.

Try getting the WinXP application compatibility update, but honestly the game should run. Try a different Detonator set first, try 21.83, that is the set I had installed when I first installed NFS: HS.

The way to get Need For Speed: High Stakes to run is by using Voodoo2,3,4,5 using glide.

Under Windows XP, High Stakes should install and play normally, Direct3D and Software modes too.

Yeah ! laughlaughlaugh

Thank You Men !

High Stakes finally works on XP for me too ...

I downloaded patch 4.44,which has fixed the error message.

BTW : The game is much faster without compatibility mode

So let's race wink

D.

I can get it working with the cd no probs, but like many others, i hate faffing with cds, id rather get the game running totally off the hard drive, has anyone got it working with a crack? cos i cant lol!

it just crashes back to the desktop