Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
mike3169

Ghost XP?

Here's what I want to do. I have a few 20gig IBM drives. I have a KR7A-R baord with Highpoint RAID controller. I HAD raid setup on it previosly, but after some stupid mis-haps on my part, I ended up reformatting and going to one Standard drive.

Now, I want to Setup RAID again, but I don't want to reinstall WIN XP. I have all versions of norton ghost. Can I create and "image" of my OS now to one of my Backup drives, re-create RAID and then Ghost the image back over to the RAID Stripped drives?

Can someone kinda give me some steps to follow? I am runninf NTFS file system on all my drives now including my backup drives.

Mike

Highly unlikely that will work as you would be changing the boot controller and that will most likely cause winxp to barf on reboot(irq_not_less_than_or_equal bluescreen). This usually happens when you change motherboards on 2k/xp that have different IDE controllers. However I haven't tried it so it MAY work, and I can't say it won't as I'm not 100% certain.

In the KR7A manual there is something about being able to assign specific irq's to certain devices to get around this kinda issue for Win2k/XP.

It would probably be easier and quicker to just format and reinstall however.

Yeah you are probably right, just to be safe, I will more than likely just format everything and set up RAID and install freash load of XP. I have backups of everything, so should only take a couple hours to gget back to where I am now. Thanks.

Mike

Just an aside, but it's usually preferable not to have the OS on your RAID array if you can afford it. It saves you from this type of hassle, plus, if one drive goes bad, not only do you lose your data, you lose any OS as well. But sometimes it's just cooler to have one striped array =)

/L.A

I know GHOST won't do it but i think something from powerquest will either Deploy Center or something along that line should allow you to ghost both drives into a single image. I don't know if it will specifically image RAID arrays though.

Quote:
by Lactic Acid
Just an aside, but it's usually preferable not to have the OS on your RAID array if you can afford it. It saves you from this type of hassle, plus, if one drive goes bad, not only do you lose your data, you lose any OS as well. But sometimes it's just cooler to have one striped array =)
Couldn't that risk [of losing OS] be offset by using mirroring & striping instead of just striping? he said he had a few drives - if he has 4 he could set then up as M&S, [a.k.a. RAID modes 0+1].

Yes certainly he could.

RAID 0+1 is actually a true RAID mode as it does in fact offer redundency.

It's exactly how I run my 4x 60GB IBM HD's.

The performance is still great and I can loose any one drive and most combinations of two drives and still all of my data stays intact.

Of course with RAID 0+1 you do unfortunately loose half of your total capacity due to the redundency - my 240GB gives 120GB useable.