Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
FearCourage

PC-100 Ram and Pentium III 600 Prices Dropping

Hey, if any of you use http://pricewatch.com then you will notice that the price of 128MB PC-100 ram has dropped nearly 40 dollars in like the past 2 days.. Also... The Pentium III 600 is now $469! Obviously, something big in the chip world is about to be unveiled or there is a major price war going on.. Check it out!

You damn right Fear!

Intel is planning to released it's dubbed "Athlon Killer" 9 Months ahead of schedule!! if that aint news! then share whatever your smoking! ;o) check out more on this ..read the news and info page of my homepage!

------------------

~ chameleon kyoshiro ~

http://win2kbox.8m.com

I bet I know what it is too.. Let me guess.. Coppermine? The .18 Micron process chips? Hmm... Let's hope that the 600 and 700 mhz chips are in Slot 1! I want to be able to put those babies in my motherboard.. BTW, I have a Supermicro P6DGS with onboard Adaptec Ultra/Wide SCSI... So if I run Dual 700's instead of 600's...then my system will truly be badass... smile.gif If anyone else knows of better prices than on pricewatch, let us know! I have been looking at pricewatch by the hour and it seems to drop about every 90 minutes.... The next 24-48 hours are going to be very interesting indeed...

Hey FC, don't worry if the Coppermine only come out as PPGA370. Just get a couple of slotkets (slot 1 converters). I use a pair on my P6DBS (same board, BX chipset) with a couple of 300As @ 450.

Also it looks like Intel will be charging a premium for any new Slot1 versions of their CPUs...

I believe the news chameleon mentioned about the 'athlon killer' was not about Coppermine but rather Willamette, a generation beyond coppermine. I believe The Register reported on the news that Intel may release the chip code-named Willamette early, as early as this year. I highly doubt the accuracy of this news, as Intel would not crush their own 'coppermine' chip so soon after it's release. If they did release Willamette anytime in the somewhat near future, it would be incredibly expensive, possibly more than a Xeon chip. I intend to have a 700mhz Athlon chip in my computer soon, replacing my dual P3 500s (some may not see the logic in this upgrade, but it _does_ make sense for me). Personally I intend to keep my primary comp. running on AMD chips for as long as they're comparable to Intel's latest offering. And I've seen benchmarks of the coppermine chips on camino motherboards that actually show a performance lose compared to good ol' BX motherboards! (and original P3s). I don't believe any of the new P3 B chips are based on S370, but rather Socket 380, which isn't compatible with current celeron Slotkets. I cannot confirm any of this but it's what I currently believe to be true. If anyone has more solid info _please_ post it.

Prophet

Actually, that crap about the Williamette being released 9 months early was a fake. It takes a year to get the fabrication available from the time the paper specs are done on a processor. The prices of current P3 chips and PC 100 RAM are going down due to the P3B and PC 133 RAM, and the release of the Coppermine, which was released today.

http://www.intel.com/PentiumIII/18.htm?iid=feature+P3P2&

------------------